Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Churches in Ealing?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alison

Alison Report 22 Oct 2003 17:30

My ancestor married Elizabeth Nash in Dec 1762 in Ealing by licence, he also married the same woman in Jan 1763 in Upton Cum Chalvey Bucks. The 2nd marriage was in a Church of England Church and someone suggested that they married twice to make the marriage legal. I have been trying to find where my ancestor William Clilverd(listed as also Clilward, Clilford and Dilvard in the records!) was born, there is no info in the parish register so I was wondering if there was more info from the first ceremony only I dont know where this took place. I looked for Churches on genuki, but the ones listed have no record of this marriage. Was there a Catholic church in Ealing in 1765? Any help greatly appreciated as he is the earliest ancestor on this line and all the Clilverds alive today seem to be descended from him.

Alison

Alison Report 22 Oct 2003 18:27

These are the churches currently in Ealing Abbey Church of St Benedict Catholic Church All Saints, Ealing Common Bridge Church (Brentford) Christ the Saviour Dunamis (London City Church) Ealing Christian Centre Ealing Christian Fellowship Ealing Green URC Haven Green Baptist Church International Presbyterian Church Kingsdown Methodist Church Pitshanger Community Church Polish Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady Mother of the Church Riverpark Church St Andrew's URC St Barnabas C of E St Mary C of E St Matthew C of E St Paul C of E St Peter Mount Park C of E St Stephen Castle Hill C of E Sts Peter and Pauls RC Church The Parish Church of the Ascension The Salvation Army Perhaps if you search them on Google then you will find when they were first built. Alison

Gen

Gen Report 22 Oct 2003 19:29

Hi Alison. I live in Ealing and if there is any help I can give you with lookups just let me know. Not being a very religeous person I am not sure which are Roman Catholic but there are many churches in and around Ealing. Just let me know. Gen

Alison

Alison Report 23 Oct 2003 20:31

Alison thanks for that list, all but one of the churches were built after 1859 and St Peter and Pauls is not actually covered by Ealing parish. Was it possible to marry in a civil ceremony in 1762, like a registry office? Gen thanks for the offer of look ups, William was in Upton cum Chalvey after he married and all his children were born there. I cant find if he lived there before his marriage but there is no christening record for him. The surname is misspelled so many different ways on so many different records its a nightmare. On the census's I have Chilverd,ChilversClilvero,Clitunce,Ceileard,Clitunce,Ailuerd and Clelunce and I cant find 45 people I have birth records for as well. I thought this line would be easy as its such an unusual name!!!