Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

D'oh!! What now?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa

Lisa Report 23 Oct 2003 14:14

Found out last week from his birth certificate that my grandad was illegitamate so couldn't go back down his father's line. Applied for his mum's birth certificate (Mary Hannah Boyes, dob 31/12/1866) and she too has a big gap where her dad should be! Mum is Elizabeth Boyes, no profession or maiden name given, so I guess that is her maiden name. Shall I give up on this line as a bad job, any suggestions how to progress?

Emma

Emma Report 23 Oct 2003 14:44

Lisa, Have you looked up Elizabeth and Mary Boyes on the 1881 and 1891 census? They could be with other family members. Emma

Lisa

Lisa Report 23 Oct 2003 15:01

Mary was a domestic servant on both, with two different employers, can't find Elizabeth, so she could be married (or dead!) Mary had William (my grandad) in 1890, but he wasn't with her in 1891, he was a 'nurse child'.

Lisa

Lisa Report 23 Oct 2003 15:48

Don't know Ruth, My grandad had the middle name Carter so I have tried to find a wedding of Mary Boyes to ? Carter (possibly another William), so far drawn a blank. There are two mariages of a Mary Boyes on Free BMD, neither to a Carter, but how do I know which is correct, if either of them?

Mary

Mary Report 23 Oct 2003 16:02

Hi Lisa, The mother may have claimed for maintenance but I am not sure if there is a web page for you to search but someone I am sure will point you in the right direction. Just a thought, if she was in service, it might have been the head of the household who was the father? These things did go on. Mary

Lisa

Lisa Report 23 Oct 2003 16:09

Did think of that actually! But the head of the house in 1881 was not a Carter, and that was her address when she registered William's birth. Unless the head of the house changed? By 1891 she was in Pickering working for a Seth Coverdale.

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 23 Oct 2003 18:37

My grandad had no fathers name on his birth or marriage certificate. I finally found him on the 1891 census, by the 1901 census his mum had got married, but not to his father! The only clue that I have to the father was that my grandad and his brother both had the same middle name, which was Stephenson, so this was probably their fathers name. See if you can find your grandads mum on one of the censuses, she also may have married someone different to his father. Although you may not find his father, at least you may find the step father who probably brought him up. Maggy, West Yorkshire