Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A ROSA by any other name? China Square, Lambeth

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Annie

Annie Report 23 Oct 2003 17:19

Hello Tips Board, Jack ROSA married May Victoria GAU in Lambeth in 1921. Marriage cert says he was living at no 3 China Square, Lambeth. Age at marriage 35 years, father Marco ROSA - a cork merchant. Tried searching 1901 for Marco and for Jack with no joy - tried ROSE and ROSS as well. Anyone have any other permutations I could try? I suppose maybe they weren't living in UK at the time but thought it was worth a try. Also tried FreeBMD and 1837 online for ROSA BMDs. Tried 1881 just in case. AND I can't find China Square as a current address - does anyone know if it's still there? Living at nos 2 - 6 China Square in 1901 were families Briscoe, McCarthy, Mark Theophilus Bird, Pickett family and England family. If anyone would like details please let me know! Best wishes Ann

Carol

Carol Report 23 Oct 2003 17:47

Have you tried the name RUSH Having read some of the writing on census forms, anything is possible

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 23 Oct 2003 17:55

Ann This site was given on here the other day. www(.)imagepartners(.)co(.)uk/Thesaurus. I put in your name Rosa and it came up with 176 variations! Jeanette

April

April Report 23 Oct 2003 19:09

Found this family on the 1881 Household: Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability Marco ROSA Son (Head) U Male 23 Constantinople (For) Buyer Regina ROSA Daur (Sister) M Female 20 Constantinople (For) Lina ROSA Daur (Sister) U Female 16 Manchester, Lancashire, England Scholar Morris ROSA Son (Brother) U Male 10 Constantinople (For) Scholar David ROSA Son (Brother) U Male 2 Manchester, Lancashire, England Rachael ROSA Daur (Sister) U Female 3 m Manchester, Lancashire, England Maggie BOLES Servant U Female 17 Feraugh, Ireland General Servant Emily COOLEY Servant U Female 27 Salford, Lancashire, England General Servant -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Dwelling 68 Bury New Rd Census Place Broughton In Salford, Lancashire, England Family History Library Film 1341945 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 3956 / 30 Page Number 9

Annie

Annie Report 23 Oct 2003 22:25

Thanks for your replies, I would have replied earlier but with the slow operation of GC earlier on, I ended up beating the pc with a stick! That site is something else! How did I miss that posting? Also I shall look into the Rosa family from 1881 - I did see them before but they looked a bit posh for my family! Happy hunting A