Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HOW DO I FIND INFORMATION

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 24 Oct 2003 15:16

Please can anyone suggest ways of finding information about Peterborough? I have ancestors who were living there in 1861 but can find no way of obtaining information. Northampton Family History Society have a wonderful site, but it only covers modern Northamptonshire. Peterborough is now in Cambridgeshire. They only seem to cover old Cambridgeshire! Please can anyone help? Rosemary

Andrea

Andrea Report 24 Oct 2003 15:21

I have just gone to Google search - www(.)google(.)co(.)uk and typed in "Geneaology in Peterborough" and it came up with a list of sites. Try that and see if there is anything useful on the sites that it comes up with. I am useless at knowing where and how to find things so I just type what I am after in my search engine and I usually get there in the end!! Good luck.

Janet

Janet Report 24 Oct 2003 15:34

Rosemary It looks as if Peterborough FHS doesn't have a website, but I've found this information for you Peterborough & District FHS CONTACT: Mrs Pauline Kennelly, 33 Farleigh Fields, Orton Wistow, Peterborough PE2 6YB Hope this helps Janet

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 24 Oct 2003 18:13

Thanks for your suggestions everyone, I'll try the Cambridge site and Google this evening. Rosemary

Julie

Julie Report 24 Oct 2003 18:35

try the Peterborough City Council website www(.)Peterborough).)gov(.)uk The library page there has a listing of what is available in the library. Julie T:)

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 24 Oct 2003 18:54

Thanks Ruth I had tried Genuki before but was not sure whether Peterborough counted as Fenlands. I have found a site to subscribe to, for the district and one in Southampton for those relatives. Thanks Julie I will try Peterborough's web site. Rosemary