Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Signing a marriage cert.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tricia

Tricia Report 24 Oct 2003 20:23

When you obtain a copy marriage certificate, is it copied by hand or printed via some sort of copier? I have noticed that in all the certs I have received, so far, all of the information is in the same handwriting, including the signatures of the couple getting married and the witnesses. Tricia

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 24 Oct 2003 20:30

Thanks for asking that. I've noticed the same. Lynda

Maureen

Maureen Report 24 Oct 2003 20:35

Registrar write them,they are copyed from the original maureen

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Oct 2003 20:36

Hi As you say ' a copy of a marriage cert'. I have found that sending to the local reg. office supplies you with a 'copy' from their records. So it is pot luck sometimes that the Reg. clerk transcribes correctly. I sent for one from Southport and received a photocopy of their original. Hazel

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 24 Oct 2003 20:43

The certs I have obtained have all come from the same Registry Office and I believe the ladies there copy them from their registers - hence all mine are in the same two styles of handwriting (there are two ladies there, so I assume they share the duties). If you obtain the certs. from the main Stockport I believe I'm right in saying that they take photocopies of the original entries in the register, therefore you are likely to get various hand-writings from the people who originally had cause to sign the register. The problem with obtaining 2nd hand copies of the entries is that there is the danger of transcription errors by the people who are copying the entries in the Register - but the problem with copies of the original entries is that you may not be able to decipher the handwriting anyway - horses for courses I think. I have had occasion to query a local registry office with regard to the information on one cert, and they very obligingly checked the entry and were able to say that they were not at fault in their transcription (they had merely copied over the original entry) it turned out that my grandad had conveniently forgotten his age (??) and also his father's first name (???) Hope this helps. Jacqui

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 24 Oct 2003 20:46

If they copy the original by hand, why dont they print instead of doing the fancy writing, then perhaps I could understand some of the occupations! Lynda in

Tricia

Tricia Report 24 Oct 2003 21:00

My copies have all come from Stockport and they look as though they have been projected, as they all have a line slanting upwards. from the bottom right hand corner of the box containing the information. Tricia

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 24 Oct 2003 22:25

It does depend on the register office, some certs I have had even from the same office have been either written out by hand or photocopied. I have even had one from Southport which was written out by hand. When I registered my mother's death 3 years ago, it was typed by computer, if we had wanted a hand written one we would have to have waited for it by post, at the time I wasn't researching or I would have had a hand written one as well. It might be worth asking if the register office will photocopy them for you. Ros

Lucky

Lucky Report 24 Oct 2003 22:59

I don't have any scottish rellies (yet) but I've heard on some cert. you get a lot more info is that right??

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 24 Oct 2003 23:25

Some of my certificates which I got from Oldham were copied out by hand but when all the records were placed on computer I then got typed ones Some that I have got from Yorkshire are all handwritten I have never received a photo copy of the originals Although the Greffes offfice in Guernsey sent me a photo copy of the page that listed the birth registrations of my Dad and his brothers and sisters Bren

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 24 Oct 2003 23:26

Shelagh, How lovely for you to have the original copy. When I get my certificates I look at it again and again, I wonder who the witnesses were, how old, were they familyor friends? I put it down then pick it up again to see if I've missed anything. If I'm out when the post comes I ask my husband to open it and read it out slowly, I ask him questions about it, (as If He'd know) I am waiting for 2 birth certificates, was hoping they would be here today, but now I'm glad they didn't because I can have that excitment tomorrow, Just like Christmas. But just once I would love them to be copies of the originals. I envy you, just a bit. Lynda

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 25 Oct 2003 00:00

Shelagh, you're not mad, but very lucky !! perhaps my 2 that turn up will be originals, but not holding my breath. Lynda

Carol

Carol Report 25 Oct 2003 00:31

Shelagh, if there is a time of birth, it could mean that he was one of a twin. Or are all Scottish certs like that

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Oct 2003 01:03

Carol, All Scottish births have the time of birth on them. Diane, Here are the details of what you should find on a Scottish Birth Certificate. - Full name of the child and its gender - Date and time of birth - Residence at birth - Name; age; place of birth; occupation of father - Name; age place of birth; and maiden surname of mother - Usual residential address of parents (if this is not the same as the place of the child's birth) - Date and place of the parents' marriage - Name of the informant and the relationship of the informant to the child (if any) Please remember that Civil Registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages in Scotland only began in 1855 and that a significant proportion of all hatches, matches and dispatches were never officially recorded. Good luck! Regards Margaret

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Oct 2003 10:16

Thanks for the compliment Shelagh, Scottish Expsert LOL!!! I only started all this in May! Happy to be of help. Regards Margaret