Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scottish Grandfather-in-law - what next???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debbie

Debbie Report 24 Oct 2003 23:26

Have really come unstuck. Margaret very kindly managed to track down the birth certificate of my husband's grandfather, Edward Ferguson, b. Stirling 11/01/1911. Now, it states his mother's name was Janet Ferguson (nee Ambler), father's name was Hugh Fraser and they were married on 8/4/1892 in Dalkeith. This evening I have spent hours trying every variation of names on the Scotlandpeople.gov.uk site and can I find a marriage entry for his parents? No!!! Why was Edward given the name Ferguson if his father was Fraser? Do you think perhaps his mother was married previously and then broke up from her husband before Edward was born? It's doing my brain in!! Sorry, I am fairly new to this so it may be obvious to some of you geniouses out there. Debbie

David_Vickers

David_Vickers Report 25 Oct 2003 07:59

Debbie This is a bit of mystery, but a couple of possibilities spring to mind. First, the date of Janet Ferguson's and Hugh Fraser's marriage as stated on Edward's birth certificate could be incorrect. I've certainly found a few instances of that while researching my wife's family in Scotland. Have you checked to see whether there are any other Ferguson/Fraser marriages in the right area between 1892 and 1911? Do you know the names of any of Edward's brothers and sisters? If so, it would be worth trying to find birth certificates between 1892 and 1911 - these may give an alternative date of marriage for Janet and Hugh. I would suggest taking a close look at any marriages which might fit after Edward's birth. It could be that Edward was born out of wedlock and thus registered under the name Ferguson. Good luck. Hope you find a solution. David

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Oct 2003 10:48

Hi Debbie - please check your e-mail. Regards Margaret

Debbie

Debbie Report 25 Oct 2003 11:39

Thank you so much David and Margaret for coming back to me - problem solved! Genuine mistake - Hugh Fraser is in fact Hugh Ferguson! Edward Ferguson went on to marry Susan Fraser - too many "Fs". Got me and the hubby thinking last night about all sorts of scenarios, I can tell you!!