Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Electoral roll or 192 lookup.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andy

Andy Report 27 Oct 2003 11:47

I'm probably being way too optimistic with this one, still if you don't ask you don't get... I'm looking for my father's cousin, who may well still be alive. The person I'm looking for is William B.COOK (b. 1922). The last known address I have for him is 139 South Norwood Hill, South Norwood, SE25. This was his address in the 1950s and whilst it's very unlikely he's still at that address, it's possible that he could still be living in SE or SW. I don't know whether they quote middle names but I have a sneaky suspicion that the 'B' in his name stands for Beecher, which was my grandfather's middle name (and father's for that matter). Here's hoping...

Andrea

Andrea Report 27 Oct 2003 12:08

I have just used my last credit on the 192 for you but no go. There are loads of William Cooks in London. None for your address - the system didn't even recognise South Norwood Hill or South Norwood - and no entries for William Beecher Cook. Sorry, but you will have to try and find another way to identify your man. I haven't given you the results of the search as there were so many - and I couldn't see how you would know if it was your man - short of phoning them all. Hope this is OK. Good luck with your search. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Chris

Chris Report 27 Oct 2003 12:12

Andy I've sent you an e-mail Chris

Andy

Andy Report 27 Oct 2003 12:31

Andrea, Thanks for looking, yeah I knew there would be countless numbers of William Cooks, but just wondered about the William B. Cooks, of which there ought to be a more select bunch. I would never have got as far as I have done with this particular line had I not had a middle name or middle initial to work with. South Norwood Hill is still a road, according to modern day street maps and it would seem the address still exists. Chris, Got your e-mail about the electoral roll. Not really sure which one would belong to my father's cousin, if any but I'll keep this information for future reference. Need to do a bit more digging first. Thanks for your help, every little helps. Andy.