Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

UK to Ireland, what port?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Teresa In Canada

Teresa In Canada Report 28 Oct 2003 08:07

My Cassidy family travelled between Kent and County Kildare between 1870 and 1874 and then back to Kent sometime around 1877 -1878. Where were they likely to make the crossing? Does anyone know if any records are available to show passengers making these trips?

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 28 Oct 2003 09:49

Hi Teresa, would think they would have had to travel to Dublin via Liverpool or Holyhead (in S Wales) on a ferry.Think all the ferries sailed from west coast of Britain to Ireland.Of course they would have had a long journey from Kent just to reach the ferry. Kathleen

Teresa In Canada

Teresa In Canada Report 28 Oct 2003 17:07

Hi Kathleen. Thanks for the reply. I can't imagine why they went back and forth twice in six years.

Teresa In Canada

Teresa In Canada Report 28 Oct 2003 17:08

Hi Lesley; Thanks, I didn't know about Holyhead. Are there any records for those who did these crossings?

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 28 Oct 2003 22:21

Hi Teresa have just put county kildare into search engine,quite a bit of info but couldnt find any ref to Ferry crossings ,only pasenger lists of ships to America. Kathleen