Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Records office - Where to start???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anna

Anna Report 28 Oct 2003 10:15

Are there any other people who would like to go to different archives, records offices etc, but do not have a clue where to start. I was wondering do the record offices do group introductions or anything so that us novices can get the best out of the places we visit. I live in South London and would happily do look ups for people if I knew where to start!! If there isn't this service, perhaps there is a gap in the market for someone as I would pay to be shown around a records office and given advice!!

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 28 Oct 2003 10:29

I have not had too much experience but have been to the FRC at Islington and my local LDS Family Centre. In both places there are people only too willing to help. In the FRC the Record Books are easy to find, different colours for Births, Deaths and Marriages. They can be a bit heavy but I found the excitement of being able to search all the records made me forget how tired I was - until I was on the train coming home! The census's I have no experience of but again there are people there who will help. In the Family Centre, certainly in my local one, the helpers are extremely helpful and other researchers are only too happy to give advice or help. Don't be frightened to give it a try, it is well worth it. Kathleen

Deborah

Deborah Report 28 Oct 2003 11:14

Hi Anna, Tbe PRO at Kew, do introductory sessions, in fact they insist on it. When you register, on your first visit, they have someone take you round, show you where everything is, how the indexing systems work, etc. Very helpful. The LMA (just round the corner from FRC) are very helpful too. Debbie

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 28 Oct 2003 11:32

In the FRC are the gro ref in books then cos I find scanning through the microfiche make me go slighlty dizzy, so I never get very far.

Deborah

Deborah Report 28 Oct 2003 11:42

Hi Siobhan, Yes, huge great big ones that weigh a ton!!! But very easy on the eye. Debbie

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 28 Oct 2003 11:51

my next visit will be to there then, I find a book much easier to the eye that microfiche, the flickering makes me dizzy.