Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

buying census in disk

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anna

Anna Report 29 Oct 2003 10:04

If you purchase census on disk.do you get to see the actual census page or is it just the transcriptions? I dont know if it would be best to take out a subscription with ancestry or purchase the disk for 1891,as i have noticed mistakes on the transcriptions on 1901 etc Thanks Anna

Margaret

Margaret Report 29 Oct 2003 10:08

Anna I don't think the 1891 discs are indexed, which can be a problem if you don't have an address. They are on Ancestry. You can still view the original image on Ancestry as well as look at the transcription. If you still can't find what you are looking for then it is possible to search through the whole area by clicking on next image etc. Margaret

Anna

Anna Report 29 Oct 2003 10:25

THanks Margaret.I think ill ask my other half to buy me an ancestry subscription for Christmas.The thinks ive gone crazy,I spend all my time on the computer these days!!

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 29 Oct 2003 10:28

just a querry...how much is an ancestry subscription? it only says it in dollars and i am no good at converting!!! or am i just thick...lol susie

Anna

Anna Report 29 Oct 2003 10:33

theres ancestry(.)com and also a (.)co(.)uk one too.I think its around £30 for a 3month subscription and £70ish for a year.You could get a free trial for 14 days but i dont know if you still can Anna

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 29 Oct 2003 10:37

thanx anna it might be worth looking into.but it seems to cover mainly america. do you know if there is a lot of british info on it susie

Anna

Anna Report 29 Oct 2003 10:41

Susan Look at www(.)ancestry(.)co(.)uk Ive just had a look,it is for UK and Ireland Here is some of the things you can access on it. U.K. Census Update: • 1891 England Census (All counties available) • 1891 Wales Census (All counties available) • 1891 Isle of Man Census (All parishes available) • 1891 Channel Islands Census (All parishes available) Coming Soon: • Civil Registration Death Index 1984-2001 New Records: • Suffolk Farming in the Nineteenth Century It also says birth and marriage records and much more. I thought it was only the 1891 census lol Anna

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 29 Oct 2003 10:43

anna thankyou so much i'll just grab hubbys credit card and slaughter it!!!! he wont mind....i hope.......roflmao...ha ha susie

doly

doly Report 29 Oct 2003 10:45

Hello There I have purchased all the London census disks from S&N geneology at £50 each. They are not transcribed so you see the oringinal and I have spent HOURS looking through them using the addresses on certs first and then an A-Z for the streets closest or just scanning each page. Takes approx 2 hours to search a 350 page CD! I think they have been very worthwhile and will continue to be so. You don't have to worry about busy times online and slow downloading. I print off any sheets with my main names on it and file them for the future in case they tie in. You will always have them without thinking of online time and costs and could probablt sell them on when and IF you ever finish with them! Good luck Sheila

Lucky

Lucky Report 29 Oct 2003 10:51

Sheila I believe that there are index discs available for some London census. I think you can get them for £5 if you have purchased the census.

doly

doly Report 29 Oct 2003 11:33

Hi again Yes you can get indexes to the London census, They are being done as a voluntary thing and you buy them at £5 each STAGE for each Census so they will work out expensive ( and not necessaryily accurate, I started to index one FOLIO but it took so long I gave up!) You would need to look and see what areas have been indexed first. I don't think 1891 has been completed yet, have a look at the S&N Geaneagology catologue. Regards Sheila

Brian

Brian Report 29 Oct 2003 22:23

Hi Anna, have you looked at the Archive Cd Books site? www.archivecdbooks.org. Loads of Census disks and growing rapidly, and prices much lower than many others. Site gives lots of help and advice. Ref indexes, you can usually purchase very cheaply from the FHS of the area you are researching. Hope this helps.

Anna

Anna Report 29 Oct 2003 22:40

Thanks Brian Ive just had a look at that site and they only have one of the durham census.I looked earlier on stepping-stones and can order the whole set of Durham census for £102.00 (if you order the full set you save £25 i think) the only thing is,i dont knwo if you have to pay for them all in one go or as each one is due to be posted.I think ill email them Anna