Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Going to America

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 30 Oct 2003 12:56

Did all people arriving in The US have to go through Ellis Island or could vistors arrive anywhere else? If so, are there records of other arrivals somewhere? :)))

Carol in Rochester, New York

Carol in Rochester, New York Report 30 Oct 2003 14:51

Hi Helen, Not all immigrants arrived thru Ellis Island. A lot came in thru Canada and other ports in the U.S. Try Cyndi's List which you can access thru Rootsweb. They have a lot of links pertaining to the U.S. Regards, Carol

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 30 Oct 2003 16:01

Hi Helen. I don't know much about coming to America, but I have heard that some people who wanted to live in America actually sailed to Canada and then "came down here". Reason: less expensive to sail to Canada. One of my ancestor's supposedly arrived in New Jersey; don't know how true that is. I wasn't born here, so don't know the dates, but I believe Ellis Island was opened in the later part of the 1800's. From what I've run across, I believe entry points were New York, Boston, New Orleans, New Jersey -- there may be many more.

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 30 Oct 2003 20:58

Thanks to everyone. I've been going through the passenger lists arriving at Ellis Island but it's pretty slow going. I'm after a family who started up a tannery at the end of the 1800's so I've been looking for that link. Boston springs to mind but only because lots of Irish were there. Much appreciated.

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 30 Oct 2003 21:25

Are you sure they sailed to America? Keep in mind Eastern Canada is (was) full of Irish and Scottish folks. I've never tried tracking down how my ancestors arrived in Canada, as I wouldn't know where to begin. All 16 ancestors came from different parts of England and Ireland.

Roseanne

Roseanne Report 30 Oct 2003 22:09

Hi Helen I am also looking for ancestors who went to America. One of my ancestors was born in New Orleans in 1862 and moved to Liverpool when she was about 8, or maybe younger. Her Father was born in Scotland - they seemed to move around alot in that time. I would love to find out why they came back. Roseanne

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 31 Oct 2003 09:01

Hi Lisa, I'm almost sure the lot I'm looking for went to US because Canada has never come up in any discussions. I know lots of my own great aunts and uncles went to Canada, mostly Ontario according to family lore, but I haven't started looking for that group yet. I'll keep looking!

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 31 Oct 2003 09:04

Hi Roseanne,The American connection certainly adds a bit more interest to this hobby - my own family lived in the times of the industrial revolution and had jobs in mills, etc. I'm learning lots more history than I did at school!