Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Promising website

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 31 Oct 2003 08:30

Dear All I have just come across a site that in time looks to be quite promising. It is called Ancestral Village and basically you can list the births, marriages etc of your ancestors. Eventually the villages will fill up with people and will then enable you search for those lost rellies! Take a look and see what you think! http://www(.)ancestral-villages(.)co(.)uk Remember to remove brackets Helen

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Oct 2003 09:29

Helen You're right, it does look promising - and very new! If everyone here on GC were to enter their details there they'd have a very good database wouldn't they!? No one has registered for the village we're intrested in Bidston,, Birkenhead and I'm not sure we've got enough info ourselves yet to add to it! Thanks for the tip, it's definitely worth a look! Eleanor xx

Sue

Sue Report 31 Oct 2003 10:08

Anthony At least if you register the village it's a start. I've registered a couple and only put one name on each so far. Even if you can't fill in all the boxes straight away, you can edit them as you find out more. Sue

Gigi

Gigi Report 31 Oct 2003 10:48

Hi All, I've also registered a couple of villages and put a relative in each. Let's keep this going!!

Ellen

Ellen Report 31 Oct 2003 10:54

I have entered all the details I know of on the site. I think it is excellent and have mentioned it a couple of times on GC to get people to register. If there is anyone out there from Wichenford and surrounding area, West Bromwich, Claines and Halesowen? Please give it a try. Helena

Andrea

Andrea Report 31 Oct 2003 12:07

I am trying but having problems with the registration. I am afraid I was a Duh when I received the registration confirmation email - I didn't read the Email properly and so I missed the link that I had to click on to finish registration. I have tried registering again but it won't accept my log in details. I will join it as soon as I can though. Sounds like a good idea.

Darren white

Darren white Report 31 Oct 2003 12:28

I had trouble with the registration too. Everytime I tried to add an ancester it told me to log in even though I already had! Its okay now though and have just added several Ancesters to the site & have already found an ancester ! Darren (Nuneaton)

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 31 Oct 2003 15:52

Nudge

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 31 Oct 2003 16:48

Helen i have just refisterd and put a couple of names in for two villages it looks good but----- will you be able to look up villages and see who is there? Or i am being thick Ann,Darlington

Helen

Helen Report 1 Nov 2003 08:02

Yes Ann, eventually we should be able to. I have put entries in for Honiton(Devon) Cartworth(Kirklees) and Elsecar (Barnsley). The more people input, the bigger the database but it is just a question of time. Helen

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 1 Nov 2003 09:18

NUDGE

Patricia

Patricia Report 1 Nov 2003 15:56

Brummie Dave If you click on "more details" to the left of your ancestor's name it will display a page containing a comments box. In there you may find the e mail address of the person who entered the information. That was where I was directed to put mine when entering information, if I wished to be contacted. Pat

Donna

Donna Report 1 Nov 2003 15:59

This looks really good, have also registered my own village myself - I feel so proud!

Catherine

Catherine Report 1 Nov 2003 16:19

Grrr at registration for Ancestral villages, done it 4 times now can't get in help!!!

Donna

Donna Report 1 Nov 2003 16:31

I didnt have any problems at all, did you get your email? Then just go back to the home back and log in - what happens at this point?

Catherine

Catherine Report 1 Nov 2003 16:34

S'ok got in on 5th attempt!!! Have just founded a village - feel quite important!! :-)

Gigi

Gigi Report 1 Nov 2003 17:07

Dear All, I had no probs with the registration or log in!?! I've also founded a couple of villages in Cumberland and Westmorland and am also feeling quite proud too!!!!! Gillian

Gigi

Gigi Report 2 Nov 2003 13:45

Nudge

Bob

Bob Report 2 Nov 2003 13:51

I went to 2 villages (both already registered) but couldn't find a way of seeing any information apart from the name I had entered. Does this mean that I am the only one...Surely the original person who registered the village would have put at least one name in?

Sue

Sue Report 2 Nov 2003 14:24

Bob - Your 2 empty villages may have been registered by someone (possibly me?) who clicked on find village before realising what it did!! Sue