Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with parents please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gosport

Gosport Report 1 Nov 2003 08:21

I need to obtain a copy of my parents marriage certificate to find the age of my paternal grandfather. My parents married in 1939 June or July in Gosport Hampshire, my father was Reginald John Chippington (c19090 and my mother was Hilda Lucy Hughes. (c1915) My grandfather was William Chippington, but would you believe with a surname like that I have found several so need his age in 1939, please can anyone help I am really stuck. Have looked in Family records with no luck.

Michele

Michele Report 1 Nov 2003 08:50

Hi Cheryl As far as I know you will not get the age of the father from a son's marriage cert - anyone fel free to correct me if this is wrong. : ) I have looked on 1837online but the only Chippington married in 1939 was called Cyril who married someone with the maiden name of Upson How sure are you about the year? Michele

Michele

Michele Report 1 Nov 2003 08:57

Hi Cherryl No marriage reg for Hilda Lucy Hughes in 1939 2nd 3rd or 4th quarter either. There is a Hilda D who married someone with the surname Hunt in Southampton but that is all. Sorry Michele

Janice

Janice Report 1 Nov 2003 17:04

There are 3 William Chippingtons in the 1891 census: age 45, born Suffolk, living London age 17, born London, living London age 8, born Suffolk, living Suffolk

Irene

Irene Report 2 Nov 2003 01:32

First you will need you fathers birth certificate this will give his father and mothers full name & with her maiden name (your grandparents). Then you will be able to look for a marriage for your grandparents, with luck this will give their ages if not just of full age meaning over 21. But you will get your g grandfathers names with occupation on the marriage certificate. You can view the indexing at the family records office in Myddleton St London, or view them on line 1837.com costs .10p to view a page. Cost of certificates £7.50 from London and £8.50 by post. Hope this helps Irene

Gosport

Gosport Report 2 Nov 2003 20:54

Thank you everyone, life would be so much easier if they hadn't named a son after the father, I'll keep trying