Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

what age could you marry?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hayley

Hayley Report 2 Nov 2003 09:02

i have just found a marriage on the LDS page and it was in 1865 i think its the man im looking for but that means he married at 15, is that possible?

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 2 Nov 2003 09:11

Hi, It would be very unlikely. Although minors were allowed to marry at 12 for girls and 14 (I think) for boys I have seen very few of these in my searches of Parish records. The IGI is notoriously unreliable check the actual records of the church in which the marriage is said to have taken place. And be sure it is "your" man who is getting married. Gwynne

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 2 Nov 2003 10:43

It was 14 for men and 12 for women until 1929 (set to 16 and in 1969 to 18)

George

George Report 2 Nov 2003 11:21

My g g grandfather was only sixteen when he married. His sister was only fifteen when she married. So don't rule it out. George