Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Balls

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 2 Nov 2003 10:10

Please see below

Carol

Carol Report 2 Nov 2003 10:11

While looking for the surname Balls on the census, I came across a head of family named `Golden Balls` Transcript error, thought I, so looked at the image, and there it was. Did the enumerator mishear him, or was he having a laugh? So, David Beckham, you were not the first

Iz

Iz Report 2 Nov 2003 10:19

Carol, That made me laugh- not one of your rellies I trust! Iz.

Carol

Carol Report 2 Nov 2003 10:28

Not one of mine, but it cost me the price of an image to find out if it was transcribed correctly. The writing on the census form was perfectly clear as well

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Nov 2003 10:39

Difficult to word this. I was looking for my great aunts marriage to a 'Gay' in Cornwall and came upon a boy called Brighton!

Carol

Carol Report 2 Nov 2003 10:50

Our ancestors had a sense of humour after all. But we must remember that some words did not mean what they do now. (Gay meant jolly and colourful then) Brighton for a boy? Was the surname Rock?