Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How were WW1 deaths recorded?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Nov 2003 17:12

Were the deaths of soldiers in WW1 recorded on the Army records only or on the 'normal' bmd records office as well? Margaret

David_Vickers

David_Vickers Report 2 Nov 2003 19:08

Margaret Please see this extract from the ONS website: "We hold overseas birth, death and marriage records and issue certificates for members of HM Forces and their families, only if the events were registered with the Service Departments Registering Officer at the time. (This does not include Northern Ireland).If an event was not registered, you can contact the Overseas Section on +44 (0)151 471 4801 for advice on how this might be done now." I'm sure that ONS at Southport could clarify this for you if you were to call them. I've just ordered a WW1 death certificate without giving a reference as WW1 war deaths do not appear in the normal indexes which you can find on 1837 Online and FreeBMD. I now have to wait until the postal strike is over before finding out whether ONS have traced the death I am seeking. David

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Nov 2003 19:16

Thank you David. That helps as I wasn't looking forward to trawling through the Indexes on the Army sites!!! Margaret

Karen

Karen Report 2 Nov 2003 20:41

Margaret, Another place you could look is on the CWGC Commonwealth War Graves Commission website (www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/search.aspx) You can search by name and, if listed, will tell you the date of death, age, regiment and the grave/memorial reference. It may also give the name of the deceased's parents. Very good site - I found my great uncle's details on there, he was killed in action in France, 1918. Good luck. Karen

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Nov 2003 21:19

Thank you Karen, will try that. Margaret

Andrew

Andrew Report 2 Nov 2003 22:07

Agree with Karen...got a lot of info from that site Andy

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Nov 2003 18:39

Thank you all!! I had a look on the site Karen mentioned and couldn't find my grandfather's brothers deaths, so perhaps they were in Boar War. My grandfather was in WW1 but luckily returned home, even though he had been gassed. Have still to find his details of service. Margaret