Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage records - anyway to determine spouse ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 2 Nov 2003 19:48

Please see below

Ann

Ann Report 2 Nov 2003 19:54

I have a marriage record for Henry Ratcliffe -- Dec 1850 in Maidstone. I will apply for the cert, but as I currently have several on order, I don't want to do so until the postal strike is finished. My problem is, is there anyway in the meanwhile of finding which of the 3 women listed on the same page he married: Susan Ames Emma Jones Eliza Paine................. Henry is dead by 1881 and I believe his wife predeceased him. Free BMD doesn't have deaths of a Susan, Emma or Eliza Ratcliffe that fit........ In case it helps - the other 2 women married Julius Caney and Thomas Weller..... Can't find either of them on 1881 either. Any ideas - or do I just have to be patient.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 2 Nov 2003 19:55

Hi, Patience is the only way. Sorry, Gwynne

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 2 Nov 2003 19:56

if you post the year and quarter of the marriage, someone who has credits for 1837online may cross reference for you, to see who he married.

Margaret

Margaret Report 2 Nov 2003 20:00

Anyone who is on the same page inthe marriage register will have the same ref. no. One of my ancestors got married on the same page in the register as his fathers second marriage. They have the same ref. no.. The only true way to find out the spouse is to send for the certificate. If that means waiting then OK Margaret

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 2 Nov 2003 20:09

Hiya I have search the census for Kent and I have found this, so he may of married Emma. Henry RATCLIFF Head M Male 52 Pontefract, York, England Hot Water Gas & Sanitary Engineer Employing 8 Men & 1 Boy Emma RATCLIFF Wife M Female 50 Hoxton, Middlesex, England Wife Frederick F. RATCLIFF Son U Male 23 Marylebone, Middlesex, England Hot Water Engineer Rosina E. RATCLIFF Daur U Female 18 Sydenham, Kent, England Leonard RATCLIFF Son Male 10 Sydenham, Kent, England Scholar Dwelling No 5 Sydenham Hill Rd Census Place Lewisham, Kent, England

Gary

Gary Report 2 Nov 2003 20:12

From the 1881 Census, looks like Thomas Weller married Eliza Paine. Household: Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability Thomas WELLER Head M Male 63 Wilmington, Kent, England Hammerman Engine Factory Eliza WELLER Wife M Female 58 Dartford, Kent, England Robert WELLER Son U Male 18 Dartford, Kent, England Laborer In Paper Mill Eliza WELLER Daur Female 15 Dartford, Kent, England Laborer In Paper Mill William WELLER Son Male 15 Dartford, Kent, England Laborer In Paper Mill -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Dwelling 34 Colney Rd Census Place Dartford, Kent, England Family History Library Film 1341205 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 0866 / 77 Page Number 45 Gary

Ann

Ann Report 2 Nov 2003 20:16

Siobhan -- I don't think that this is him - at least if it is I've got the wrong marriage since as far as I know he stayed in the Maidstone area and the 1st child was also names Henry (then Alfred, John & Edmund - there may have been girls but I haven't found them). I've looked on 1837 online - but all 3 marriages were in Maidstone and and none seem to record a spouse. I guess I'll just have to be patient -- or ask my mother to search the 1851/1861 census (she lives fairly locally).

Ann

Ann Report 2 Nov 2003 20:25

Gary -- thanks, I missed that - I'll go back and look again as see if I missed one of the others.... Ann

Gary

Gary Report 2 Nov 2003 20:27

Ann Best of luck with Julius, I had a good long look but could not find him. Also tried various spellings. Amazing how many Julius Caesars there were! Gary