Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

If You Cant Find Your Ancestor Was He ............

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gen

Gen Report 3 Nov 2003 01:14

Could your ancestor have been executed or murdered? I have found a list of people executed since the 1600's. It list their crimes, the date they were hung and in the case of murder the people they were accused of killing. There is a large number of executions in the 1870's. www(.)fred(.)net/jefalvey/execute(.)html Gen

Katinahat

Katinahat Report 3 Nov 2003 01:18

Thanks Gen, for that gem of a tip. My brother in law told me once that an ancestor of his was hung!! Kathy

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Nov 2003 01:26

What a shame!! None of ours on this site! Oh well! Why not add this site to the Good Websites list that started earlier Gen?! I'd love to hear if someone finds one of their rellies on it! Eleanor xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Nov 2003 04:01

Cheers Gen - what an interesting site :-) She

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Nov 2003 07:30

Hi, Just had a quick look and this looks interesting. Also has details of London theatres with actors names etc., (it mentiones at bottom of page). Some people were asking about theatre last week weren't they? Sarah

BrianW

BrianW Report 3 Nov 2003 07:35

Hunting through last night, I came across the 1881 census entries for a couple of prisons, so that's another potential spot to look if father was not at home on the night.

Joan

Joan Report 3 Nov 2003 08:14

Yes indeed! Only last night I found a family member George Hudson on the 1881 census list for Parkhurst I.O.W prison. Anyone know where I can find more about him? Joan

Sue

Sue Report 3 Nov 2003 09:20

A Google search for Parkhurst census gave over 800 sites. These 3 look quite interesting: pearlspad(.)tripod(.)com which gives a list of boys who were pardoned by agreeing to go to New Zealand to work; wightonline(.)co(.)uk/parkhurst-heritage give the history of the prison; kenscott(.)com/prisons/parkhurst1881(.)htm has extracted Parkhurst staff and inmates from the LDS site but was last updated in 2001. There are plenty more to choose from. Sue

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Nov 2003 10:39

Hi all, Interesting site - what would be worse, to find your lost ancestor was executed or that they had been murdered? Kim

Andy

Andy Report 3 Nov 2003 22:17

I have found that one of my ancestors was hung for murder in 1922, I found a website that lists all english people hung and where they were hung from 1800's to 1960's plus lots of info on how they hung people and the hangmen in england.... and my ancestor is listed on here, maybe yours will be too. http://www(.)richard(.)clark32(.)btinternet(.)co(.)uk/contents(.)html

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 3 Nov 2003 23:13

Didn't someone put a message on the Guest Board about the BBC making a programme about one of their relatives who was murdered or a murderer? I'm sure it was being shown this month sometime. Jeanette

Joan

Joan Report 4 Nov 2003 08:12

Thanks Sue I haven't got used to the idea of Google-ing yet! Joan

Alison

Alison Report 4 Nov 2003 10:05

I have a article from 1895, prisoners executed at Stafford from 1793 to 1895 it lists all the executed including someone from my family Micheal Dorricott who was executed for murder in 1796