Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How far do you go adding names to your tree?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anna

Anna Report 3 Nov 2003 12:47

I am currently unable to go further back on a couple of branches on my family tree,but I have details of ,for example, a great great grandfathers brothers' second wife and her parents and siblings.Do I add these people to my tree or not? Any thoughts greatly appriciated Anna

Andrea

Andrea Report 3 Nov 2003 12:56

If you can add them - then add them. If they fit in with those you have already, why not?? I am also stuck on a branch of my family and I have just decided to call it quits as I can't get round it. It is back to 1849 which is way more people than I have any clue about, so rather than spending more and more money on certificates etc (which is the only way to find out more), I have just stopped there and moved onto another branch of my tree. Hope this helps.

Anna

Anna Report 3 Nov 2003 13:01

Thanks Andrea. I will add them I think once I get a wedding cert,to double check they belong to the family Anna

Andy

Andy Report 3 Nov 2003 13:11

Depends on what you feel comfortable with, everyone's different. I've stuck mostly to researching direct lines but have occasionally branched off and looked at those families who are there by marriage. I've tended to do this with those names that were known to my family (e.g. great uncle's wife's family)

Carol

Carol Report 3 Nov 2003 13:21

As a compulsive collector and hoarder, I like to have my certificates in sets 2 birth, 2 death and 1 marriage for each couple. I am almost complete back to great grandparents, born 1860s - 1880s My next endeavour is my g g grandparents, I have a few, but not all. Some go back before 1837, so a printout of the parish record will replace the certificate. I have a couple of deaths in Canada, not sure what to do with them.

BrianW

BrianW Report 3 Nov 2003 13:34

My inclination is to add everything that comes to hand but to actively research direct ancestors and those branches where we know of living relatives. This approach has led to at least three verified links which in turn extends the tree and gives the potential for more links.

We're all crazy now

We're all crazy now Report 3 Nov 2003 13:40

I agree with Brian. The more names that you add, the more chance that either you will either help someone else or they have information to help you (although, so far this hasn't happened to me). Jeannie