Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

genealogy programmes for the pc?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 4 Nov 2003 19:37

Hello all. I think my hubby is going to buy me a genealogy program for the PC for christmas but I don't know which and he probably doesn't either. I would really appreciate your reviews on which ones are good and which ones to avoid then I can sort of shove him in the right direction!!! (being subtle of course eg. oi get this one!!!!)

Bob

Bob Report 4 Nov 2003 20:18

There are so many available either as free downloads or from the covers of mags that there is now no nead to by a program. try each one and see which you like. The one I use is now no longer available so any review would be worthless. Bob

Alison

Alison Report 4 Nov 2003 20:19

Whatever you do make sure that it is GEDCOM compatible and then you can use it to upload information onto GC and share with other tree programs. I use Family Historian 2.1 which is fantasic and you can find out more about it at www(.)family-historian(.)co(.)uk It costs around £45.00 and i find it invaluable. You can create trees, add and store photo's, ask queries and store masses of information. The only downside is that if you want to print off pretty trees as opposed to collecting data then the printed tree is rather diagramatical (if that's a word!) Alison

Penny

Penny Report 4 Nov 2003 20:28

I use Legacy 4.0 which although I bought, I believe it can be downloaded for a few pounds( perhaps someone could confirm this). It is easy to use and has areas for adding pictures and sound. Picture adding is really easy to use too. I can print off ancester and descendant book from the perspective of any individual I choose from the data entered. I can print various charts e.g marriage surname, ages but have not found it suitable for the traditional tree with lines and 'branches'. Hope this helps Penny

Bob

Bob Report 5 Nov 2003 00:15

I use PAF5 which is a free download from the LDS site.

Angela

Angela Report 5 Nov 2003 09:34

What I'm really wanting is one that can handle the tree, the background information and photos (which are all over the place!!) and is easy and simple to use

N

N Report 5 Nov 2003 11:29

I agree - try a few free downloaded ones first. I'm currently using Brothers Keeper , which can cope with photos , notes and gedcom format. I would like better printing facilities - can currently print descendant charts, ancestor charts , family group sheets etc. But I would like to print a combined tree - i.e that shows all the people I am related to.

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 5 Nov 2003 11:51

i use family tree maker 10.its great,stores photos as well susie

Mary

Mary Report 5 Nov 2003 12:40

Hi there, I use Brothers Keeper 5.2 which I have used for the last 12 years updating it every few years. I find it great and I don't think I would use anything else. I did try their update 6.0 but I found this much more complicated and harder to move around so I am sticking to 5.2 You can download this from the internet Mary

S

S Report 5 Nov 2003 12:50

I use Generations, which I find fairly simple to use. It allows me to store loads of background information and I can customise the data fields. It's fully GEDCOM compatible. I can store sounds and photos too. On the down side, I've never managed to get their graphics to work properly (maybe I could if I read the comprehensive instructions manual a bit more closely, but I don't really want them anyway). You can produce a variety of different charts and reports, although none of them are very colourful. I got the program as a gift and I'm really grateful. Only thing is....if I were buying it for myself I wouldn't have forked out for all the extra CDs. Apart from the main installation disc, it comes with 16 other CDs.....all US orientated, including 'old fashioned' recipes, lists of Civil War soldiers, maps of New England etc......none of which have been any use to me. And that was supposed to be the UK version!! If you just want a program to make storing your data easier, I've looked at a few and I don't actually think there's much to choose between them. Hope that helps! (Probabbly just confused you more!) Sue

Lee

Lee Report 5 Nov 2003 16:44

Hi I purchased LEGACY 4 DELUXE and Im really impressed with this program.A definate thumbs up.Cost me 20 US dollars. Tried PAF and GENEPRO- these are quite good and free. Lee