Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Brickis Boy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gosport

Gosport Report 5 Nov 2003 05:31

Any one know what a Brickis Boy is, on census 1881 occupation of a 15 year old boy

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Nov 2003 06:44

Hi Cherryl, It sounds like he might have been the assistant to a brick layer! Regards Margaret

Gosport

Gosport Report 5 Nov 2003 18:10

Thanks Margaret, you could be right. Cherryl

Penny

Penny Report 5 Nov 2003 19:00

Must be a what we would call a Brickies labourer today. My dad is a retired bricklayer and they always referred to bricklayers on site as 'brickies' Carpenters 'chippies' etc! Dad always 'employed' a young lad as a labourer. Penny

Katie

Katie Report 5 Nov 2003 20:44

I agree with Penny - my ancestors worked in the Eastney Brickfields in Hampshire and we always refer to the bricklayers as 'brickies!' Remembering that many people were only barely literate in those days 'brickis' could just be someones attempt at spelling 'brickies.' Good Luck! -Kat