Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where do I go from here??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Aileen

Aileen Report 5 Nov 2003 15:55

I am trying to find my grandfather Alfred Boom born between 1876 and 1880 (in Shadwell )but have found nothing. I've looked on Freebmd, 1837online, LDS and don't know what else to do!!! What next? thanx Aileen

Sinead

Sinead Report 5 Nov 2003 16:12

Hi Aileen, If you go to ancestry(.)co(.)uk {remove brackets} and put in his name it gives 2 listed in the 1891 census-unfortunately I am not a member to access this data,so if you request a look up someone will help. They also hace some civil registration and there are 6 listed so you may wish to check those out. As far as LDS go have you tried mis-spelling Boom for Room maybe as Quite a few of my lot on that site have been mis - spelled. www(.)genuki(.)org have huge listings and info for all areas and also the 1901 census on www(.)census(.)pro(.)gov(.)uk Hope this is of some use to you-good luck Sinead

Aileen

Aileen Report 5 Nov 2003 16:26

Thank you all so much for your help DAWN ...I think you've done it!!! Why couldn't i find an entry for Alfred's Birth.....I recognise all the names of this family cropping up in my uncles'families...I'm thrilled!!! Aileenxx

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 5 Nov 2003 16:27

From the 1901 Alfred BOOM 24 1877 Shadwell London West Ham West Ham General Labourer Florence BOOM 21 1880 Tidal Basin Essex West Ham West Ham Florence BOOM 3 1898 Custom House Essex West Ham West Ham Alfred BOOM 1 1900 Custom House Essex West Ham West Ham Using the decoder so i might have missed some Bob

Aileen

Aileen Report 5 Nov 2003 16:30

DAWN, Where did you get that census from? Aileenx

Aileen

Aileen Report 5 Nov 2003 16:31

Bob Thank you...what's a decoder please? Aileen

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 5 Nov 2003 16:47

Aileen. The decoder sorts out searches on the 1901 site into page or individual numbers. Lots of people on this site us it. It seems a little unfriendly at first but is usefull. www.censusdecoder(.)com/ Any problems ask here, plenty have!