Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Durham Records Now On-line!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deborah

Deborah Report 7 Nov 2003 18:15

The Durham Record site that was on-line then mysteriously disappeared..remember? Testing now complete, and running live on www.durhamrecordsonline(.)com/ Have been privvy to the on-line testing that's been going on over the last couple of weeks, it's brilliant! Pay per view, results sent immediately to your computer. It's a must if you have Co. Durham rellies. Debbie

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Nov 2003 18:21

Thanks Debs, I must have a look at that. Jim

Andy

Andy Report 7 Nov 2003 19:11

Oh yes, looks like I'm going to have some fun with this site! Lots of ancestors from Co. Durham... Cheers Debbie.. Andy.

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Nov 2003 19:27

Wail!!! Woe is me! I tried the site and it seems to have great potential....BUT...when I clicked on "Search" nothing happened. I think my ISP may be at the root of this as it has a problem accepting cookies. Thanks again ntl. Jim

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 7 Nov 2003 22:41

Debbie, Andy & Jim Have you gone on www.durham.gov.uk/gro/search.nsf/search?openform It covers 1837 'til now, deaths are only from mid 1980's, but the marriages give a positive spouse, and if she was married before you get her married and maiden name as well, plus all the births. Brilliant!! Kim

Andy

Andy Report 7 Nov 2003 22:59

Kim, Yes, I've used the site you mentioned in the past but not had much luck with it. However, I recently acquired some family information from one of my father's cousins and she was able to give me the spouse's name for another cousin, although I still didn't have a year of marriage. Anyway, decided to have another go with that Durham site, and managed to find when they got married, much to my delight. Andy

Deborah

Deborah Report 7 Nov 2003 23:06

Hi Kim, Yes, I've used that site many times too. It's very good. I have not been able to find some marriages, tho' they claim marriages is complete?! Debbie

Annie

Annie Report 7 Nov 2003 23:23

I had a look at it and got the family back to 1861 then found the marriage of the ancestor and made my way back to 1650 on LDS. £3 well spent! A

Andrew

Andrew Report 7 Nov 2003 23:26

I have no relations from Durham that i know of but thought i would be nosey. Wish all counties had a site like it. Andy

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 8 Nov 2003 03:54

Its wonderful !!! I have loads of relies in Durham and Seahm and have found some bapts and burs already. A lot easier than trotting up to the North East

We're all crazy now

We're all crazy now Report 8 Nov 2003 10:45

Have just had a look at the 2nd site mentioned on this thread - brilliant, has confirmed one of my guesses of the spouse in a marriage. Another one for my favourites. Unfortunately, I couldn't access the one mentioned in the initial message on this thread but I will try later. Thank you once again GC members. Jeannie

Martin

Martin Report 8 Nov 2003 13:05

It is worth keeping an eye on http : // www . ukbmd . org . uk / and checking for any new parts of the country that you find connections. Martin

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 8 Nov 2003 14:45

One that might also be of use to everyone looking in Durham is www.interment.net/uk/eng/durham Haven't found any of mine buried but hope someone has some luck Kim