Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Deserter or coward?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 9 Nov 2003 17:06

I'm wondering if my missing George Pegg was a deserter or coward and executed accordingly because I can't find him. Are there any records of these unfortunate soldiers?

Pam

Pam Report 9 Nov 2003 17:23

Hi Helen, I have spoken to my husband about this as his great passion is military history of WW1 and WW2. He says that all military deaths during conflicts should be listed by CWGC. Apparently their charter says they will make no distinction in how a serviceman/woman died, only that they died serving their Country. There is an instance of 70+ Canadian servicemen dying in Brockhurst, Surrey of the Influenza epidemic in c1918 who are listed on CWGC. Hope this is of information to you, good luck in your search! Pam

Margaret

Margaret Report 9 Nov 2003 17:25

Helen Try http://www(.)shotatdawn(.)org(.)uk/ remove brackets Margaret

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 9 Nov 2003 17:38

Pam, thanks for your information. Margaret, I had alook at the site and it's very sad, isn't it? I'll earmark that for the futire, too. Thanks.

John

John Report 9 Nov 2003 17:40

Put "shot at dawn" into google - there are loads of sites. I also was leaving through a book on the subject in Waterstones in Birmingham a few months ago. It listed loads of names. I'm afraid I can't remember the title though.

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 9 Nov 2003 18:06

Thank-you, John, I'm off to Waterstones to have a look.