Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Burial Records, help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 10 Nov 2003 09:29

How do I access these records? Do I need to go to the cemetary concerned? I am looking for a common name with an inexact date of death (five years either side of 1925!) but am pretty sure I know the cemetary? Any guidance greatly appreciated Sylvie

Carol

Carol Report 10 Nov 2003 10:29

If the cemetery is a long way from you, you could try writing to them with the info you have.

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 10 Nov 2003 11:03

Thankyou Carol I'm in Gloucestershire and the cemetary is in London but I am happy to go. My information is so vague that I think it will take a lot of finding. Am I able to go to cemetaries and search their records? Sylvie

Julie

Julie Report 10 Nov 2003 13:43

I recently visited Southern Cemetary,Manchester and they could not have been more helpful. I was able to search their record books to locate the graves and they even photocopied the original receipts for the internments which also included where they were living when they died and their trade. I did need to know when they died and had obtained exact dates of death from obtaining the certificates, otherwise it would have been like looking for a needle in a haystack as the cemetary is huge!

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 10 Nov 2003 16:18

Sylvie, what cemetary is it? I have a little book of all the cems and crems in London, and can give you the contact/register location details. Maz. XX

George

George Report 10 Nov 2003 16:23

One problem I've had is that when I've visited a cemetary in the day time there has been no-one in the office so we've had to go hunting for the grave ourselves. Your best bet is to look up the local council website, find the cemetary office phone number and call them first. George