Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Free BMD

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kevin

Kevin Report 10 Nov 2003 16:05

Any Tips on using the freeBMD web-site i keep drawing blanks on any searches that i do.

Andrea

Andrea Report 10 Nov 2003 16:08

Put as little info in as you can and see if that helps - so leave districts etc as "all districts". Don't restrict the years etc. Remember that it is not yet complete. Alternatively, give me what info you have and I will have a look for you. Good luck.

George

George Report 10 Nov 2003 16:32

The easiest way to use FreeBMD is to just put a surname in the search. I don't think it is down to transcribers as a lot of the records are handwritten and very hard to read. I have transcribed the 1849 births and 1865 deaths which were extremely difficult in parts. George

Katwin

Katwin Report 10 Nov 2003 17:14

Sorry to butt in here, but can anyone tell me why the age at death is not shown on the Free.BMD until after 1865/66? It makes it so much easier to ascertain whether it is your ancestor by an approximate age. Kathy.

Margaret

Margaret Report 10 Nov 2003 17:17

Kathleen The age of death is not shown before the dates you quote, because the age of death is not given on the original index. Can't put what isn't there in the first place. Margaret

Carol

Carol Report 10 Nov 2003 17:22

I too was having trouble with this, so am grateful for the tips, the only ones i,ve found up to now, i already had the vol and pge number and was just testing them, so many thanks.

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 10 Nov 2003 17:31

I got stuck with the age bands. I ended up entering in 0=100 and still couldn't find anyone. So if searcihing before these dates do not specify an age band. Bob

Janet

Janet Report 12 Nov 2003 01:16

Less is definitely more! Janet Transcriber for FreeBMD