Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with 1901 decoder please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 12 Nov 2003 09:37

Hi , I`ve downloaded the 1901 decoder and worked out how it works but..........heres my problem. When i press the id button it sorts out the names ect. but there`s no colour change in the groups. So i just see the list on a white background which is difficult to see who was in the same household. How can i get the colour scheme back. Hope some can help. Thanks. Julie

Sue

Sue Report 12 Nov 2003 09:58

Hi Julie This information was posted a couple of days ago by John. I hope he doesn't mind me cutting and pasting it here on this thread. Hope it helps. Sue *************************************************** Added by John Ferguson on 09/11/2003 08:30:52 You may find this useful re 1901 decoder. I post it now and then and it seems to help. If you go to my website http://worldzone.net/family/reddesktop/ there is a link to downloading it. It is a useful tool for 1901 and saves money. John 1901 decoder Its main use is to see if 2 people you look at are in fact living in the same house. It basically saves you money downloading loads of names in the hope you get the right ones early on. 1 Press ……. SHOW BROWSER 2. Use advanced search for the names you want. (Fred Smith) 3. When you have all the ‘Fred Smiths’ you suspect then press PROCESS RESEARCH. 4. Now advance search for ‘Freda Smith’ 5. Now press process research, again for all the pages that appear 6. Do this for all the names you suspect may be your ancestors, children etc 7. When done press SHOW RESULTS 8. Now press GROUP BY 9. Then press PAGE ID 10. This will group people who live in the same house together with a ‘grey’ colouring automatically. You could try this to start with using 1 of my relatives as an example. I wanted to know whether Richard Fletcher was the Richard I was searching for, approx age 30 to 35, in fact he was 33. I knew he had a daughter called Maud, age not known. So put in Richard Fletcher with his approx age. This will produce quite a few, process each page. Then put in Maud Fletcher age 5 with a range of 5. This will produce some, press process research for each page. ( I suggest you ask for 30 names for each page) Now follow the above steps and see what you get. When I found the result, then I paid for the download and discovered his wife’s name and 4 other children. Hope that helps.

Crista

Crista Report 12 Nov 2003 10:35

Julie, I've noticed that on an older laptop I was only getting 3 colours. This is what the FAQ says: http://www.lancslist(.)com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1715&sid=caca8daf3fdeaa1a54b552f52fc6e158 Crista