Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Something doesn't add up.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrea

Andrea Report 12 Nov 2003 12:45

Please see message below.

Andrea

Andrea Report 12 Nov 2003 12:50

Honestly, I can barely get dressed these days without checking with you lot first!! Anyway, I was looking for Flannagans in the Workhouse - a Mary Ann Flannagan to be exact. On the 1901 census I found a Mary Ann and a Joseph Flannagan - aged 4 and 3 respectively. I then found out that Mary Ann DID have a brother called Joseph. I know they went there with their Mother but that she died there, so I just assumed that she had already died at this point. However, I have just realised that, according to Mary Ann's marriage certificate, she was born in 1892 - so she would be older than 4 in 1901. I know the census's can be wrong, but surely an 11 year could not pass as a 4 year old?? Have I just jumped to conclusions and assumed these two Flannagans in the Workhouse were mine, when they aren't? I have no idea how to check Mary Ann's real age as I don't know her Mother and I don't know where Mary was born - Ireland somewhere, that's all I know. Opinions please.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 12 Nov 2003 12:58

what was their mothers name. and wouldn't mary be 9 yrs old and not 11 if she was born in 1892.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 12 Nov 2003 13:06

does it not give her age on marriage cert

Andrea

Andrea Report 12 Nov 2003 13:14

That's the problem!! I don't know who the Mother is and the age given on Mary Ann's marriage certificate for 1913 is 21 - which makes her born in 1892. You are right about the 9, not 11 though! Maths was never my best point. Anyway - the Mary Ann found in the Workhouse in 1901 was 4 - so was it still her???

Emma

Emma Report 12 Nov 2003 13:22

Andrea, Have you been back on 1901 and eliminated all the Mary Flannagan's 8-10yrs? Are you looking for Mary in a specific area or could she be anywhere? Emma.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 12 Nov 2003 13:30

does it give Marys father on the marriage cert or was she Illegimate

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 12 Nov 2003 13:31

These are the familys I have found on 1901 with a Mary and a Joseph John FLANAGAN age 47 born 1854 Yorks census place Keighley Yorks occupation Builders Stone Wollen Ann FLANAGAN age 45 born 1856 Yorks census place Keighley Yorks Edward FLANAGAN age 20 born 1881 Yorks census place Keighley Yorks occupation Masons Labourer William FLANAGAN age 15 born 1886 Yorks census place Keighley Yorks Sawyer Circular Henry FLANAGAN age 11 born 1890 Yorks census place Keighley Yorks Mary FLANAGAN age 9 born 1892 Yorks Keighley census place Keighley Yorks Joseph FLANAGAN age 3 born 1898 Yorks Keighley census place Keighley Yorks

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 12 Nov 2003 13:33

Thomas FLANAGAN age 38 born 1863 Ireland Co Clare Oldham Oldham Lancashire occupation Cotton Stripper Grinder Catherine FLANAGAN age 14 born 1887 Lancs Oldham census place Oldham Lancashire occupation Cotton Little Tenter N Thomas FLANAGAN age 12 born 1889 Lancs Oldham census place Oldham Lancashire occupation Cotton Little Piecer Mary FLANAGAN age 10 born 1891 Lancs Oldham census place Oldham Lancashire Joseph FLANAGAN age 7 born 1894 Lancs Oldham born Oldham Lancashire

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 12 Nov 2003 13:37

Thomas FLANAGAN age 61 born 1840 Ireland census place Longton Stafford occupationGrocer Mary FLANAGAN age 52 born 1849 ... Warwickshire census place Longton Stafford Lilly FLANAGAN age 25 born 1876 ... Warwickshire census place Stafford Agnes FLANAGAN age 26 born 1875 ... Warwickshire census place Longton Stafford Thomas FLANAGAN age 21 born 1880 ... Warwickshire Longton census place Stafford occupation Coachman Groom John FLANAGAN age 18 born 1883 Longton Staff census place Longton Stafford occupation Coachman Groom Peter FLANAGAN age 16 born 1885 Longton Staff census place Longton Stafford occupation Grocers Assistant Joseph FLANAGAN age 13 born 1888 Longton Staff census place Longton Stafford occupation Errand Boy Mary FLANAGAN age 10 born 1891 Longton Staff census place Longton Stafford Teresa FLANAGAN age 8 born 1893 Longton Staff census place Longton Stafford

Ellen

Ellen Report 12 Nov 2003 14:56

Andrea, Sometimes people lied about their age on the marriage cert (and other documents). Call me cynical but everyone seems to be aged 21 when they marry!! Sometimes it may be to do with the age of consent but my great aunt always knocked 5 years off her true age. Was perhaps her husband younger? Regards Helena

Andrea

Andrea Report 12 Nov 2003 15:13

Helena No, the husband is stated as being 22 - But I have also found his birth, so I know that to be right. Siobhan How have you found these on 1901 - with the decoder? I have tried looking for all Mary's, Mary Ann's, Thomas's, Joseph's, Rose and Rose Ann's - and then putting them together but nothing fits. The closest of the ones you have found is the one with the Father as Thomas and then Mary Ann and Joseph as kids - but where is the Mother? Also, there was a Rose Ann Flannagan as a Witness at the wedding??

Ellen

Ellen Report 12 Nov 2003 18:49

I have found a Mary Flanagan born in Ireland, aged 11, living in Lancashire on the 1901. Any chance? Helena There is also a Joseph Flanagan registered as being born and living there. It is somewhere called "Bootle cum Lineacre" in Lancashire. He is aged 3.

Stan

Stan Report 12 Nov 2003 19:08

Helena could well be right. A 17-year-old could pass for 21, so I think the age a marriage might be wrong. If the marriage certificate gives details of father's name and occupation, as it should, then I would be inclined to use that as a help in tracing details. Stan

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 12 Nov 2003 19:18

Have you got the Fathers name. Yes I got them details using the decoder. They were the only familys with a Mary and Joseph flannagan, at the age that you said for mary.