Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree Programs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 12 Nov 2003 12:54

I know this has probably been posted a dozen times before. But I thought I would post again, as there are so many family tree programs out there, it is hard to know which one is the best. Which would you recommended? Thanks

Heather

Heather Report 12 Nov 2003 13:04

i dont know, i have four different ones and cant make up my mind which to choose, i suspect that each person would have different requirements, me i just want a nice simple one that doesnt confuse me!! i have been using one that came free with a computer mag a long while ago but have just bought (cheaply) Family Tree Deluxe Edition so if and when i ever have time i will give it a go. sorry couldnt be more help hevi

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Nov 2003 13:11

Siobhan, This one does come up alot and I always lose track of interesting info before it vanishes off the board! Is it worth making this an on going thread so people can post their (often invaluable) thoughts and recommendations on particular Family Tree software? Not only will this assist anyone considering buying software, but it will also cut down on the message threads!!! Just a thought Eleanor xx

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 12 Nov 2003 13:43

I definately think it is worth while making this an ongoing thread. As it is posted so often, but then does get lost, especially now that after so many pages into history threads vanish. I wasn't really interested in the family tree programs the first time the thread came round, but as my tree is now getting larger and larger by the minute, I thought it was sensible to get all my information filed properly on my computer, as bits of paper all over the place are beginning to confuse me. The trouble was, there are so many Family tree programs out there, I just don't know which one is best, and could not find the last time this topic was posted, so just had to post it again.

Keith

Keith Report 12 Nov 2003 23:16

Hello Siobhan. I've put this on several times but no problem because it's all new to us at one time or another. I've been using Family Tree Maker for nearly 10 years and haven't found anything to complain about. Very simple one entry and lots of reports. Available through S&N Genealogy but I actually bought mine off the shelf in Dixons. Good hunting. Keith

Bryan

Bryan Report 12 Nov 2003 23:46

Siobhan (and fellow threaders) "GENPRO" is a very useful and easy to use way of putting your rellies details ,firstly to record,then to print out Family Tree I'm a level 2 novice and have done 70 member tree printed on A4 ..as framed picture. It's a free download (1.5MB) altho' I got it in a mag.@ www*genpro*com .C wot U fink.Bry

Jackie

Jackie Report 13 Nov 2003 00:56

I have just treated myself to 'family historian' which wasn't the cheapest I could find but had good reviews on Amazon. It uses GEDCOM 5.5 as its own 'native' file format so you can 'export' data as a GEDCOM file from another program and you don't have to 'import' it. I'm not very up on this side of things but I found it easy to follow and managed to transfer my data from the FamilySearch personal ancestry file program that I had previously been using. Haven't fully explored all the possibilities yet but it can produce various diagrams, family trees and reports. Has a Quick Start Tutorial and a User Manual which is an online document. Also you can subscribe to their Bulletin Service for upgrades and new releases and a Users Mailing List which is a free forum for posting questions and seeking advice. Time will tell whether it lives up to all expectations, but so far it seems like money well spent. I'm calling it an early Christmas present to me from Santa. Jackie

Mary

Mary Report 14 Nov 2003 16:00

Bry - where did you download Genpro from ? I typed in what you'd put and got either File not found or a site about web design. Confused !.................Mary Brooke

Darren white

Darren white Report 21 Nov 2003 20:29

I use Family Tree Maker 10 and Cumberland Family tree both have very useful features Darren (nuneaton)