Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice please......confused!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

HampshireMel

HampshireMel Report 12 Nov 2003 13:48

Im trying to find the family of a Frank Friend born circa 1870 in Plymouth, Devon. i iniatially thought id found the family from the 1881 census all born in the places i expected with his father as Frank Friend (Masons Labourer) and his mother Elizabeth. However..... Ive now got his marriage cert dated 1892 with his address on and his father is down as John Friend, deceased, (labourer). From the 1891 census ive found a Friend family at the same address as on the marriage cert with the wife Elizabeth a widow and the same children as the family from the 1881 census which would tie in with everything i know.... except that on the marriage cert the father is down as John and not Frank!!! Could this possibly be the same person, prehaps using a middle name on certain records??...And is there any way i can prove this is in fact the same person?? Thanks Demelza

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 12 Nov 2003 15:00

demelza it could quite possibly be the same person.on every census my nan was named as may,but on her birth and death certs she was named as annie may.i grew up thinking her name was may as everybody called her that. so i presume that your relative is the right one. susie

Janet

Janet Report 12 Nov 2003 15:19

My grandfather was Charles Alfred Howe. On the 1881 he was listed as Charles Howe, on the 1891 as Alfred Howe, and I have yet to find him on the 1901. Jan.

HampshireMel

HampshireMel Report 12 Nov 2003 15:35

Ok, Thanks for that. I think that ill take it as hes the same person....everything else fits so im sure its him. Thanks again Demelza

BrianW

BrianW Report 12 Nov 2003 16:09

My maternal grandmother was Hannah Jane Harris, confirmed by her marriage certificate and my father's birth certificate. On the 1901 census she is definitely down as Jane. If I've got the right family in 1881, she is down there as Jane as well. Can't find her birth around 1871 (Oldbury, Worcestershire) at all though, but that's a different story.