Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

No death recorded?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ellen

Ellen Report 13 Nov 2003 19:03

My gg.grandfather John Proctor was living in Pinkett St, Worcester in 1881 aged 71. I have checked death records (GRO) from that date to 1939 looking for him but found no trace. Is this possible? I thought that the records were complete. Helena

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 13 Nov 2003 19:06

Maybe his name wasn't actually John - a lot of Jacks were known as John (and vice versa). Have you found his marriage or another census? How about his wife's death - could lead you to a grave. Maz. Xx

Ellen

Ellen Report 13 Nov 2003 19:25

Hi Maz, The odd thing is that I cannot find a death for his wife Louisa either. I did consider the possibility of Jack but on all documents he is Known as John. It still is a possibility though. Thank You Helena

Katie

Katie Report 13 Nov 2003 19:30

My Jacks were Johns and my Harry's were Henry's! Also my family tended to use their second given names instead of their first - switching every census! One ancestor flipped his given name and surname back-to-front! Please do not discount anything that could possibly be John just because the name is wrong! Even if he has been consistent elsewhere. -Kat

Katie

Katie Report 13 Nov 2003 19:36

Also, remember that the info on death certificates is usually unreliable. It was completed by whoever was avaliable - family member, friend, neighbour etc etc. Ie: If John told Dave from no.2 that his name was really Archibald, and Dave was the informant of the death, then Dave might be stupid enough to have put down 'Archibald' as the deceased's given name! You really do never know. Also, silly question, but when you are searching for his wife's death cert, you are searching for her under her MARRIED name aren't you? Only I know someone who spent months searching for her great gran under her maiden name! Silly mistakes are the easiest to make! -Kat

Ellen

Ellen Report 13 Nov 2003 21:33

Thank you for the tips. I think that I need to go back to the GRO and check anything remotely connected. I have already searched through records in Worcester and found no possibilities. Is it possible that they could have moved to another area? They were both in their 70's. This could take a long time. Thank again Regards Helena

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 13 Nov 2003 21:37

Maybe they moved to be near children?? Maz. XX

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 13 Nov 2003 21:45

A lot of members don’t know this but the GRO records(and thus 1837 online) are not the most accurate. They were copied every three months from the local records and some were missed off or mis-transcribed. So you should always check the local record office first, if possible. Bob