Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Unconsecrated burial ground

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue (Sylvia Z )

Sue (Sylvia Z ) Report 14 Nov 2003 00:06

Does anyone know if burials in unconsecrated ground are included in parish registers? Also for what reasons would you be buried there. Sue

Carol

Carol Report 14 Nov 2003 00:11

People who were hanged possibly, and maybe people who committed suicide. Just a thought, maybe right, maybe not.

Mary

Mary Report 14 Nov 2003 00:23

Hi there, Anyone buried in unconsecrated ground would not be in parish records. Parish records are records of people buried in the Church grounds which are of course consecrated. A death certificate would have been issued for them to be buried in an ordinary cemetery and they would be listed in the GRO so you should be able to find them. They would of course be in cemetery records Mary

Bob

Bob Report 14 Nov 2003 00:33

Ther were loads of reasons why....Nonconformists in england and scotland and unbaptised children in ireland to name but a few. Try Unconsecrated burial ground in google and have a look at some of the sites Bob

Sinead

Sinead Report 14 Nov 2003 11:50

Hi, Don't know if it is the same in the rest of the UK,but in Wales each cemetery has areas for unconsecrated burials.This basically means that the land is not consecrated by Church in Wales or Catholic Church.My grandad's family are buried in unconsecrated plots in the cemetery but appear in the parish registers of their church.They attended a Zion Chapel but being from England originally and Their area being mostly Church in Wales or Catholic probably explains their unconsecrated burial plots. Hope this is of some help, Sinead

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 14 Nov 2003 12:22

When we looked at the burial registers in the East London Cemetary for aroung 1890 - 1900 most of the burials were in unconsecrated ground. They were certainly not all suicides, criminals or non-conformists, so there may have been an issue of price maybe?? Maz. XX

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 14 Nov 2003 14:08

I've also heard that they cannot be carried across unconsecrated ground, so to get around it they dig the hole next to the churhyard wall, carry the coffin around the outside and toss them over the wall and into the grave! As far as I know they still appear in the parish records. Ros

Sue (Sylvia Z )

Sue (Sylvia Z ) Report 14 Nov 2003 17:17

Thanks to Carol,Mary,Bob,Sinead,Marion and Ros for the info hopefully I may find something from it. regards Sue

Bob

Bob Report 14 Nov 2003 20:28

The East London burials could easily have been jewish burials. These would of course not be consecrated. Nowadays it is usual for most local authority cemetaries not to be consecrated. This being performed at the time of burial. Bob

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 14 Nov 2003 22:11

Hi Bob - no Jewish history for me - even though I support Spurs LOL - but I would say 99% of the burials in around 1900 were down as 'unconsecrated ground'. Don't mean to be pedantic - just wanted to make the sheer volume quite clear. (Hubby is I think one eighth Jewish, but not me as far as I know!!) Maz. XX

Michelle

Michelle Report 15 Nov 2003 09:45

I agree with Sinead, the majority of my family moved from England to Wales and so far those whose burial records I have were buried in unconsecrated burial plots. None of them died from suicide, hanging, etc..

Sue (Sylvia Z )

Sue (Sylvia Z ) Report 17 Nov 2003 08:09

THanks to Robert,Marion and Morffyd, for your tips about this subject Sue