Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Resources for sale on ebay

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 15 Nov 2003 14:36

Hi, While nursing my wounded hand (carpal tunnel op) I've been browsing genealogy on ebay. There are currently a lot of census CDs and parish records for sale. You may get a bargain but always check out how much it would cost new. Gwynne

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 15 Nov 2003 14:49

gwynne i bought my VRI and NBI from e.bay.there is so much to choose from and my cd's werent any dearer than if i had brought them from new susie

Lucky

Lucky Report 15 Nov 2003 15:23

It's true what you say thoug, always check how much they would cost new. I've seen 1881 census go for up to £100 in the past. A VRI was up to £46 with 5 days to go, over twice the new price.

Kay

Kay Report 15 Nov 2003 15:26

I just been looking and there are FHS leaflets going for £3.50 plus £1.50 postage. I've just got some new for £2.25 inc postage Kay

Margaret

Margaret Report 15 Nov 2003 15:31

I warned about this a few days ago. Ebay is great for some items, but I would agree about checking out the new price first. All Cd's from the LDS are available from their place in Birmingham via post. 1881 census CD's are about £30. NBI is £30 new from FFHS. I think this is expensive but have seen it on ebay for £50. Some of the indexes on ebay are worded to make you think it's the whole census you are getting not just the index. The massage is don't jump in, check first Margaret

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 15 Nov 2003 15:42

Hi, I've been quite lucky with genealogy stuff on ebay. My rules are 1. Have I considered buying it new? 2. Will it cost at least a third less (inc P&P) 3. Do I really, really want it. If the answers are all yeses then I make a maximum bid covered by rule 2. I have some stuff I got for less than half price. These rules are for genealogy shopping only. Where shoes are concerned only rule 3 applies. Gwynne

Judith

Judith Report 15 Nov 2003 19:34

I've just seen this on ebay for 99p (buy it now): For just 99p I will send you the website of a supplier who dispatches from the United Kingdom at the following prices post free. (I waited about a week for mine) 1881 British Isles Census - £29.95 Vital Records Index 2nd Edition - £22.95 !!! Judith

Carol

Carol Report 15 Nov 2003 19:39

I have just bid on a couple of items. I recently bought the NBI for £19 including postage. I paid with paypal and it arrived the next day.

Janet

Janet Report 15 Nov 2003 19:44

Gwynne (sharp intake of breath) carpal tunnel op?!!! Cor, bet that's painful! I suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome, on and off, and THAT's painful enough!! The op?...... well ........... doesn't bear thinking about! And you're TYPING???!!! Hope you've got a wrist rest! My very, very, sincere wishes for a complete recovery! I've never used e-bay - 'cos I daren't - so far! However, there have been some fantastic tips on here, and bearing those in mind ....... I just might ...... might .......be tempted to take a chance! Thanks Janet Eat Northamptonshire

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 15 Nov 2003 19:59

Hi Janet, Thanks for the sympathetic words. My hand is all bound up so I'm typing with my left hand and the edge of the bandage on my right hand. It has been quite painful but is slowly getting less so. I've had to wait 18 months for the op so I hope it works - I know it sometimes doesn't. The strangest thing was being conscious all through the op, it was done under local anaesthetic. I have to keep the huge bandage on until two weeks on Tuesday. I like being unable to do housework but I'm fed up with not being able to write already. I'll be taking a dictaphone to the LDS on Tuesday! Thanks again for the sympathy - I'm getting precious little at home! Gwynne