Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Augustus Allen

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa

Lisa Report 15 Nov 2003 20:24

im trying to find a birth date for augustus allen he got married jan 23 1893 and was aged 20. Please help Thank you Lisa

Margaret

Margaret Report 15 Nov 2003 20:31

Lisa Have you looked on FreeBMD for his birth? or try 1837online. Try searching births from 1872 -1874. Do you know where he was born. If not try the 1881 census on familysearch or the 1901 census when he would be with his wife? Margaret

Zoe

Zoe Report 15 Nov 2003 20:36

Lisa do you know the area in which he was born or lived?? Zoe

Lisa

Lisa Report 15 Nov 2003 20:45

all the information i have is the marriage date and i have tried the census Lisa

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Nov 2003 21:00

Lisa, do the surnames Eagleton or Eagleson mean anything to you? Eleanor x

Lisa

Lisa Report 15 Nov 2003 21:04

no but i have only just started doing my family tree

Zoe

Zoe Report 15 Nov 2003 21:04

Lisa, okay. well this is all supposition then but may be worth looking in to. The only marriage for that quarter on freeBMD is (according to the breakdown marriages for that year have now been completely transcribed). Marriages Mar 1893 Allen  Augustus    Leigh  8c 283 the two possible matches for wives are Ruth Clayton and Ellen Moston. If he married in the same area he was born this may well be his birth (also from freeBMD) although it doesnt match correctly with his age. Births Jun 1873 Allen  Augustus    Leigh  8c 224 The link for the registration district of Leigh shows it is in Lancashire. Familysearch (LDS) has the following family on the 1881 census: John ALLEN   Head  47   Golborne, Lancashire, England   Stokes At Waterworks     Magaret ALLEN   Wife  45   Ashton, Lancashire, England   Stokes At Waterworks Ellen ALLEN   Daur 22   Golborne, Lancashire, England   Cotton Reeles     Alice ALLEN   Daur  17   Golborne, Lancashire, England   Gates In Cotton Mill     Sarah ALLEN   Daur  14   Golborne, Lancashire, England   A Doffer In Cotton Mill     Margaret ALLEN   Daur  12   Golborne, Lancashire, England   A Doffer In Cotton Mill     Augustus ALLEN   Son  7   Golborne, Lancashire, England   Scholar     Ann ALLEN   Daur  4   Golborne, Lancashire, England   Scholar  There is another Augustus Allen also born around the same time in Norfolk on the 1881 census Hope some of this is helpful but you would need to verify it all. Zoe p.s. there are links to both the freeBMD site and Family Search in the resources centre if you need to double check anything.

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 15 Nov 2003 21:05

lisa ive found the following on VRI augustus william allen b.23 jun 1858 braysworth suffolk father william augustus allen mother thirza ann augustus james allen b 11 sept 1872 poole dorset father james allen mother jane augustus leslie allen b 10 jul 1895 derby ch 28 jul 1895 father george samuel allen mother beatrice hope this helps susie

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Nov 2003 21:10

It is a bit difficult as you don't have any idea of area. But if you go in to free BMD and search births any area for years covering roughly 1873 (i.e. 20 years before his marriage date) there are two Augustus Allens One born Luton in the March quarter vol3b page 479 (references for certificates) and one born in the June quarter in Leigh vol 8c page 224. If one of these is your it is more likely to be the first one as the second one would only be 19 in June. Unfortunately as you can't always rely on ages at marriage (where did you get the info on his marriage by the way?) it is still a gamble and may be neither. Depends whether or not you want to gamble £7 on a certificate. If I were you I would wait until I had something else to tie the date up. If you have never used freebmd yourself it might be a good idea to put it into your search engine and see what I have found for yourself. Ann Glos

Lisa

Lisa Report 15 Nov 2003 22:41

Thankyou zoe ann and susan. he was married in leigh and golborne is in leigh. i cant believe how helpful every one in here is it is such a big help. I am going to go with the one with leigh. Thank you very much for all your help Lisa

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Nov 2003 23:51

Hi again Lisa, sorry for the cryptic last message! I had to pop out. The reason I asked about an Eagleson/Eagleton connection is because I found a link to one Ellen Allen, daughter of Augustus Allen, who married John James Eagleson (b1883 Belfast). They had 5 children:John b1916 George b1918 Rose Anna b1919 Sarah b1921 James b1924 I have no way of knowing if there is any connection but it's always possible! Bye for now Eleanor xx