Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Meaning of 'nephew' in 1851 census?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joan

Joan Report 16 Nov 2003 08:51

In the Warwickshire 1851 census Frederick Hudson has a nephew William Howell staying with him. Now William's mum and dad are William Howell and Sarah Hudson ........But...Frederick has 7 brothers and sisters, and there isn't a Sarah. Do I conclude that Sarah is an unrecorded sister....or is there some other explanation? Any ideas appreciated! Joan

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Nov 2003 09:36

Hi there, If William Howells parents are William Howell and Sarah, Sarah would be the wife and not a sister wouldn't she? Or am I reading it wrong cos I'm not usually thinking this early!! Sarah

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Nov 2003 09:38

All right, just read it again and I think I did read it wrong but seems to confuse me even more. But I would say, that it being 1851, she must have been born before registration came in in 1839 and its possible she would be hard to find. Don't know if you could get the marriage certificate, but that would confirm her parents! Sarah

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 16 Nov 2003 13:59

I see what you mean. It could be. Also Sarah could be Frederick's cousin. Sorry to confuse matters further!! Maz. XX

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Nov 2003 16:19

Confusing this but could it be that Sarah is the daughter of one of Frederick's brother's then she would be Frederick's niece so william would be his Great Nephew and the 'great' was just left off in the census? Ann Glos

Joan

Joan Report 16 Nov 2003 17:34

Thanks everyone. Sarah is the same generation as Frederick so must be sister or cousin...thanks for those suggestions. She married in 1836 so I can't get a certificate. But your ideas jogged my grey cells and I found Sarah Howell on the 1881 census, a widow, born 1819, Worcester....she was married near Worcester so this fits. Felt quite pleased with myself but......no obvious IGI brith or baptism records. Frederick had a sister Lucy born in 1819....perhaps it was twins and Sarah got left off!!....will have to go and look at the parish register. No, it wasn't a name change as I found Lucy's marriage. Thanksagain...it is great to have other people's ideas. Joan.

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Nov 2003 20:47

Hi, I still don't get it!!!! Should we really be doing this? Sarah

Penny

Penny Report 16 Nov 2003 21:54

hi joan could it be that the nephew was infact a nephew-in-law, could he be frederick's wife's nephew. penny

N

N Report 17 Nov 2003 09:52

I was interested in seeing the responses here as to what other meaning Nephew might have been used for. I have a niece listed on the 1881 census and yet the closest possible fit I could make is that she is the grand daughter and yet even then the age is a few years out.

Joan

Joan Report 17 Nov 2003 15:45

Thanks again everyone! Sarah....I know just how you feel....I'm reeling when I think about it too long! Penny,.....there was in fact a niece staying too! But she turned out to be a niece of Frederick's wife. William's mum is a Hudson so I think its more likely to be Frederick's relation, although the other is possible...must look into that. Thanks. Nina....oh dear.....I have a lot more searching to do. Good luck with your searching Joan