Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Research in Russia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 17 Nov 2003 17:46

Can anybody suggest any good sites or ANYTHING really that could help get me started on researching my mothers side of the family who come from the Ukraine. I have posted messages on a Russian/Ukrainian message board but have only been contacted by a company offering their services...... I feel pretty daunted already. Thanks Julie PS also posted this message on Guest Board by mistake ooops

Michelle

Michelle Report 17 Nov 2003 17:55

Hi Julie I found a website that has a book called finding your Ukraine Ancestory http://globalgenealogy(.)com/countries/ukraine/books(.)htm Michelle

Julie

Julie Report 17 Nov 2003 18:31

Thanks Michelle Will have a look. Got to try and start somewhere?????? Regards Julie

Sue

Sue Report 17 Nov 2003 18:46

Julie See my reply on your Guest Board thread. Sue

Julie

Julie Report 17 Nov 2003 19:00

Thanks Sue (Got mixed up with message boards). I have tried message boards etc back in march to no avail but will try again. Was just hoping someone might have a "good one" as the ones Ive gone back to seem redundant.......This is not going to be an easy search and I keep putting it off. Regards Julie

Sue

Sue Report 17 Nov 2003 19:07

Julie - it would be a good idea if you deleted your thread from the other board so that others only reply to this one. Sue

Sue (Sylvia Z )

Sue (Sylvia Z ) Report 17 Nov 2003 19:41

Hi Julie, Try this website www(.)jenialogy(.)com there is a lot to look at Sue

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 17 Nov 2003 22:46

Hi Julie I'm so pleased this thread has come up. Only last week I heard a family rumour that my 'Uscroft's' were originally from Russia. This could explain why I can't find any trace of them before 1901 and no trace of the name Uscroft. Apparently they changed their name from whatever it had been originally to something that was a bit more pronouncable. What do you think my chances of finding this lot are?!!!!!! Jeanette

Julie

Julie Report 17 Nov 2003 23:00

Hi Jeanette, Unfortunately names did sometimes have to change during war time. My search is particularly difficult because my grandmother was separated from her son who was age 3 at the time and it is my task after 80 odd years due to circumstances to try and find him "before she dies". Its a very long and sad story but it happened and Im not sure what I can do? Names changed for lots of reasons and if my family are anything to go by god help you..........