Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

If you don't know where to begin ...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 17 Nov 2003 18:31

... Try a search engine first! See note below. Sue

Sue

Sue Report 17 Nov 2003 18:38

Quite often when you begin relly-hunting you have absolutely no idea where to start, other than by joining GC. It's always a good idea to use Google or a similar search engine for either a name, or just the word genealogy. As an example, if it's census information you want, try searching for census - a lot of interesting websites come up. Within a few days of beginning to search for my maternal ancestors I found them on a transcribed 1851 census on someone's website - just by doing a Google search for the village name. I began 18 months ago and put my name on Rootsweb lists, county lists etc with the names I was searching for. I found these lists by Google searching for days on end and making a note of any sites I thought could be useful. Since then 4 distant cousins have found me through these lists and have given me so much information. Give it a go - it's worth a try - and it's always so much more exciting if you find out the information in this way!!! Sue