Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help/advice needed re employees of railway

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marion

Marion Report 17 Nov 2003 22:04

I am trying to research my maternal grandparents. I have very little information to go on other than the fact that my Grandfather was employed by the Great Eastern Railway as a plate layer and was killed by a train in about 1933, but this could be out by a few years either side. His name was Charles Savill but I have no date of birth. Does anyone know how I could find out anything about this accident which happened near Bethnal Green Station in London. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sinead

Sinead Report 17 Nov 2003 22:32

Hi Marion, As far as I am aware the railway records are held at the PRO in Kew.One of my ancestors was a platelayer in Wales for Great Western Railway and their records are at Kew.I don't know the numbers to look up but you should get them or at least some more detail from the PRO website. Have you tried looking for any newspaper coverage at the time of the accident or any obituaries?You never know what got into the papers- not sure where you would find archived papers though-possibly the relevant paper may be able to help. Hope this is of some use! Sinead:)))

Anne

Anne Report 17 Nov 2003 22:34

Or you could try the National Railway Museum in York. Anne

Helen

Helen Report 17 Nov 2003 22:37

Someone on records board was doing railway workers lookups. She had a CD with lists of employees. I think it was on the long thread 'what records/CDs have you got'.