Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

please explain the meaning of occupation

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Flossie

Flossie Report 19 Nov 2003 16:17

On the 1901 census for Islington. London my G Grandfathers occupation was listed as Labourer Islington Vestry. does anyone know what this means. Thanks xx

Carol

Carol Report 19 Nov 2003 17:58

As I understand it, the vestry is part of a church, the room where couples go to sign the register after the marriage service. It is probably used for other things as well. I would guess that he was probaby the cleaner or odd job man. The term labourer just means worker

Emma

Emma Report 19 Nov 2003 18:17

Gillian, Islington vestry was a parish vestry which was a bit like the parish council we have now. This is from Dartford archives but would also be applicable to Islington vestry. "THE PARISH VESTRY The governing body of the parish was known as the vestry. Parishes already had the power to raise a church rate [tax], but further legislation gave them power to raise a rate to help the poor, and assist with the repair and maintenance of the highway, two areas which increased the role and importance of the parish vestry. The lord of the manor of Dartford still retained some power over the local community, but these powers were limited to holding a manorial court, which dealt with minor matters connected with landholding. Most parish vestries were open, in that any male ratepayer could attend the meetings and vote on important issues. Some parishes did not like this relatively fair and democratic system so they opted for the establishment of a select vestry, composed of local gentry, with no voting rights for ordinary local ratepayers. The vestry appointed churchwardens, the parish beadle [define], and the overseers of the poor, the surveyors of the highway, and constables." Emma.

Flossie

Flossie Report 19 Nov 2003 18:28

thanks girls

Olgiza

Olgiza Report 19 Nov 2003 19:11

Gillian. Just a wild guess. Could the labourer be paid or supported by the Vestry under the powers described above. I have a similar query about a rellie who was described as "Porter (Poor Law) and I have tried all the combinations as to what that may mean cryptically and literally....of course I have no answer! Roger in Eastbourne

Flossie

Flossie Report 19 Nov 2003 20:35

hm its a possibility

Bob

Bob Report 19 Nov 2003 20:49

Lucy, I think you probably mean a Parochial Church Council rather than a Parish Council. The fist serves that local parish church that second is the most local form of government having nothing to do with the parish church. This is a common error that I have to explain as a Parish Councillor. Bob Wood