Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Place of death

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Valerie

Valerie Report 23 Nov 2003 09:54

Can anyone tell me does a death have to be registered where that person dies, even if he is buried from home? I have an uncle Leonard John Smith that lived at home with his mother in Wood Green, but died after falling off a lader while repairing a customers roof. He was an odd-job worker so it could take him all over the place, and I have found a death that was registered in Essex s.w. for a L J Smith around the same age. Valerie

Marion

Marion Report 23 Nov 2003 10:35

Where is Wood Green in relation to sw Essex? My rellies sometimes had to travel quite a distance in order to get to the nearest register office. Marion

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 23 Nov 2003 11:54

yes, a death should be registered in the district where it actually occurs

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Nov 2003 12:36

Hi Valerie, I couldn't find my Grandmothers death in Edinburgh. I later found out that she died in a hospital outside Edinburgh and that was where the death was registered. It can be confusing. Have a happy searching day :o)) Regards Margaret

Valerie

Valerie Report 23 Nov 2003 15:04

Hi all, Thanks. That must have been were he was working at the time then. Wood Green is in North London a bit away from the Essex area, but at times I suppose you had to go were the work was. Valerie