Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

police museum

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debbi

Debbi Report 25 Nov 2003 14:35

hi, ages ago there was a message on this board from someone who had info sent to them from the met police museum about a relation. i used the address and wrote asking for info about a decendant of mine and as yet have recieved no reply. if the original person is reading this can they plz let me know how long they waited before they recieved a reply so i have some idea of how long to wait til i chase it up if i recieve no reply hope that makes sense regards debbi

Valerie

Valerie Report 26 Nov 2003 09:45

Hi Deborah, It was me. It takes a few months as the team are only small at the museum and they have to look through all the records, but they will get back to you. If you need any more help just contact me. Valerie

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC)

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 26 Nov 2003 10:53

Deborah..... Have you tried the link from the resorces Centre to the site :- Police Orders ? You have to register your interests, and then it takes a few days for them to do a search on your details to make sure you'll not be using the info for criminal gain..... After which you can then search their data base info, using the name you have, and if you have his number so much the better the info only covers members of the London Met..... If you scroll back a page you will see a thread under the tile ..." Police Orders" where I've managed to help as I have access to this site...... MIKE.

jmoonlabelle1@gmail.com

[email protected] Report 26 Nov 2003 14:53

hi, Mike, Jennifer again, i was on earlier thread, you said to look and see if they cover Hastings and Bexhill, Sussex but could not find on the site, how/where exactly would i find these 2 places if they are on the site, please, thank you Jennifer

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 26 Nov 2003 15:05

Jennifer..... I would write to the " Archives Officer " C/O the County Headquartes of Sussex Giving brief details of the Officer who you are looking for. It might look better if you enclose a self addressed envelope for the reply.....

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 26 Nov 2003 15:20

Theresa...... Maybe they are waiting for you to finish your Ironing 1st. ...lol.

Sandra

Sandra Report 26 Nov 2003 16:26

I have a great uncle who became a high ranking member of the police force in Glos. Unfortunately, his records are subject to a 100 year disclosure and as he passed away back in the 1970's it is of little use me trying to gain access. Maybe this is the case with your enquiry.

Debbi

Debbi Report 26 Nov 2003 16:32

hi all, thank you all for your comments. Firstly my ancestor was in gloucs police force too,so i realised after reading mikes message the site was of no use too me. Secondly the policeman im looking for was born in 1825 and was still in the police force in 1881 so im well outside the 100 years rule. Thirdly its been a month now and im getting cold sat under the letter box lol. debbi x

jmoonlabelle1@gmail.com

[email protected] Report 26 Nov 2003 17:59

thank you, Mike, will do Jennifer

Julie

Julie Report 26 Nov 2003 20:00

Hi I also sent off my letter to a police museum in Northamptonshire ages ago and have heard nothing. Will probably send a copy of original after xmas if i've heard nothing

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 26 Nov 2003 21:44

Julie....... You might get a better result if you write to the " Archives Officer " C/O Northamptonshire Police Headquarters. and I would include a copy of your 1st. enquiry The Museum could well be manned by voluntees only