Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Relationship Website

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 26 Nov 2003 10:14

Does anyone know if there is a website that explains what relationship there is between family members? For instance, what relation would my grandfathers half brothers grandaughter be to me? Jeanette

Patricia

Patricia Report 26 Nov 2003 10:29

Jeanette this works for me:- Take Person A & Person B and find the common ancestor, for both of you it will be the X times great grandfather. You need to know this exactly to work out the relationship. Work out which of A and B are closest in generations to the common ancestor. For example, say the common ancestor is your great grandfather & the other persons 3 times great grandfather, you are closest as you have fewer "greats". Taking the person who is closest to the common ancestor, add 1 to the number of greats, ( or just call it one if there are no "greats"). So, in the example, for you there is one great. 1 + 1 = 2 so you are second cousins. Now subtract your number of greats from the other person's greats, to work out how many generations you & the other person are apart. In the example 3-1 = 2, so you are 2 generations apart, which means you are twice removed. 2nd cousins twice removed. Hope that makes sense, it really is easier to do than to read. If you get stuck, e mail me direct & I'll see if I can help. Pat

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 26 Nov 2003 10:39

http://www.rootsweb(.)com/genepool/cousins.htm might help. But don't know about half-siblings etc. Dierdre X

Sue

Sue Report 26 Nov 2003 13:30

Jeanette By Googling for "half-sibling relationship chart" I came up with this website (a bit slow to load as it has a music background): www.geocities. com/Heartland/Prairie/8546/rules.html There are others, but I haven't looked at them. Sue

Janet

Janet Report 26 Nov 2003 13:41

Patricia I've read a lot of explanations of 'cousin' relationships. Your is by far the best! Janet

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 26 Nov 2003 14:54

The rootsweb site I've mentioned below gives you a very easy to follow chart that you can print off and keep. Same as in Patricia's explanation, but simpler to follow if you are dim like me!!! Dierdre X

Martin

Martin Report 26 Nov 2003 15:10

Try this web site for a chart also : www.genealogy(.)about(.)com/library/nrelationshipchart(.)htm Martin.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 27 Nov 2003 16:41

Thanks everybody for your replies. It turns out the lady who I contacted is my half 2nd cousin. Jeanette

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 27 Nov 2003 23:14

Goodness! I'm not clever enough to cope with all this mental gymnastics - especially late at night, which is when I seem to climb my tree... I'm glad I purchased the the Family Historian software! It enables me to run a query which, at the press of a button, tells me exactly what my relationship is to every other person in my tree. I can recommend it!