Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I get hold of Microfiche for London area

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Georgina

Georgina Report 27 Nov 2003 19:15

My husband is trying to get me a microfiche reader for Xmas. Have been told it would be a good idea. I am researching family in London and have gone into a few Family History Societies' websites but there does not seem a lot of microfiche sources for sale. Anyone got any ideas< Georgina Clements

Georgina

Georgina Report 28 Nov 2003 03:39

Come on you lot, I have had not replies and I am sure someone must know the answer. Georgina

Christina

Christina Report 28 Nov 2003 05:28

Try your local Family Search Centre [Latter Day Saints].

Jubal

Jubal Report 28 Nov 2003 08:58

Hello Georgina, I am hoping to get a microfiche for Christmas too and like you, don't know where to buy the relevant microfiches. I have written to the Family History Society to ask them if they can help point me in the right direction. If they reply I'll post a message on the tips board. Good Luck, Julie

Margaret

Margaret Report 28 Nov 2003 09:48

I have my own fiche reader and get my fiche from the appropriate County Record Office. The only one's so far who wont supply copies are Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire. Derbyshire say it is against copyright (wonder how the others do it then). Notts only supply to family history societies not to individuals. Mostly I find you have to buy the whole of the parish registers. Baptism, Marriage and Burials from when records started to usually 1900. Costly if it's a large parish. Usually about £1.75 per fiche. Northamptonshire supplies them in part sections but you have to have the years as they arrange them, you can't request exactly what you want. It would be nice if there was a sort of lending library so that you could hire them for a time. If anyone knows of this please tell!!! Margaret

Georgina

Georgina Report 28 Nov 2003 19:32

Christina, Julie and Margaret, Thanks for your replies. They will help. Julie - if you get a microfiche reader for Xmas I thought I would tell you that my husband has just successfully bid for one that looks as good as new on ebay for £102. He bid for it in the last 40 seconds so that no one could get in to outbid him. A cheaper option than buying a new one. My friend has also just got one on ebay for £40.00 plus £20 postage. You will soon save this money when you don't have to travel to different counties. Georgina

Jubal

Jubal Report 28 Nov 2003 20:04

Georgina, GRRRRR. See my email I have sent you!! :-) Julie