Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1872 Divorce

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 28 Nov 2003 10:52

Dear All I discovered my gt gt grandfather was divorced as it was stated on his second marriage certificate. I used the National Archivist site and have actually found the index/reference number for it but don't know what to do with this information now I have obtained it!! I presume I now have to visit the PRO to find out the reasons for the divorce. Can anyone confirm this as I am clueless!! Best wishes Helen

Carol

Carol Report 28 Nov 2003 11:18

As you have the index number and reference, would it be possible to obtain a certificate of divorce, or decree as they are now called. This may state who divorced whom and why

Chris

Chris Report 28 Nov 2003 13:37

Many years ago I obtained the divorce details of my grandfather who had divorced his first wife on the grounds of adultery in 1921. I went to Somerset House, looked through the indexes and obtained a copy for the price of the photo copy. I'm sure that as you have the refernce you will be able to order a copy by phone, probably from the FRC.

Deborah

Deborah Report 28 Nov 2003 18:04

Hi Helen, If you go back to the National Archivist web-site, you will find a list of options on the left. If you select FAQs & Costs, you will find an option 'How can I order copies of other records' Select that option, you will soon be able to download the file on pay per view. Debbie