Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

confused! (again)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Vivienne

Vivienne Report 30 Nov 2003 13:23

In the 1881 Census I have my family: Richard Reeves (38) Bermondsey Surrey - Lighterman Sarah Reeves (28) Rotherhithe " (WIFE) Elizabeth " (9) Bermondsey " Scholar Mary Ann " (7) " Sarah " (6) " James " (4) " William " (1) " I cannot find any of them after 1881, be it in 1891 or Free BMD or IGI!! The ony one I KNOW survived is James. PLEASE can someone give me some idea's where to look next?? Cheers Viv

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 30 Nov 2003 13:45

I do believe there is a very good site with info on Lightermen - try that in your search engine and have a good look around - failing that I know that Peter Bonner (on this site) has lots of info on Lightermen in London and I'm sure they can help you out with the name of an expert who can be e-mailed re Lightermen and their families in the Port of London. Jacqui

Lesley M

Lesley M Report 30 Nov 2003 13:50

What about these from BMD? Births Jun 1874 --------------------------------------------------------------------- Reeves Mary Ann St olave 1d 323 Births Jun 1875 --------------------------------------------------------------------- REEVES Sarah Ann St Olave 1d 249 There is a James aged 24 and a William aged 22 living in Bermondsey in 1901.

mab

mab Report 30 Nov 2003 13:52

There is a widowed "Sarah Reeve" b Rotherhithe age 45 living in Lewisham with Percy Reeve age 15 stationer's clerk. The age is near but not quite.

mab

mab Report 30 Nov 2003 14:12

Viv, Four possible households in Bermondsey in 1901: Forenames Lastname Age Where Born Occupation Sarah REEVES 47 Bermondsey Charwoman Emily REEVES 16 Bermondsey General Sert Domestic Thomas REEVES 14 Bermondsey General Labourer Ellen REEVES 6 Bermondsey James REEVES 24 Bermondsey Engine Driver Locomotive Charlotte REEVES 24 Bermondsey Charlotte REEVES 3 Bermondsey Mary REEVES 1 Bermondsey Emily REEVES 16 London At Jam Factory Elizabeth REEVES 29 Bermondsey Elizabeth REEVES 9 Camberwell William REEVES 7 Camberwell William REEVES 22 Bermondsey Carman Annie REEVES 22 Bermondsey Jam Factory Hope you can sort these out, Marian

Emma

Emma Report 30 Nov 2003 14:18

Vivienne, 1891: Richard Reaves, head, mar, 46, lighterman Barge, Bermondsey Sarah Reaves, wife, mar, 36, Machinist, Bermondsey Lizzie Reaves, daur, sing, 18, tin plate maker, Bermondsey Mary A Reaves, daur, sing, 17, ? maker, Bermondsey James Reaves, son, sing, 14, factory boy, Bermondsey William Reaves, son, sing, 11, scholar, Bermondsey Emily Reaves, daur, sing, 6, scholar, Bermondsey Thomas Reaves, son, sing, 3, Bermondsey William Hayley, brother, 34, coal porter, Bermondsey Alfred Hayley, brother, 21, coal porter, Bermondsey at 82 Cherry Garden Street, St James, Bermondsey Emma.

Vivienne

Vivienne Report 30 Nov 2003 21:01

Thank you all very much. I already had the info from 1881, but now, thanks to Emma in Yorkshire I know why I couldn't get them on the 1891! they changed the spelling of our name! Thanks Viv

Joan

Joan Report 1 Dec 2003 08:54

The daughters will have been married by 1901 probably , but you could find their marriages on freebmd or 1837online and search for them under their married names in 1901. Joan

Vivienne

Vivienne Report 1 Dec 2003 14:37

Crisis over!!! Thanks everyone for your help Viv