Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anti Aircraft Sites In Devon........well its diffe

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris

Chris Report 30 Nov 2003 21:55

Hi All Im trying to find any information maps photos etc of an anti aircraft site at Stoke point near Newton Ferrers a few miles from Plymouth during WW2. My father met my mother who was serving there while he was on leave from the RAF. Does anyone know what branch of the forces were anti aircraft guns were manned by? Unfortunatly both my parents have passed away so i can not ask them about it. Thanks in advance Chris Talbot

Carol

Carol Report 30 Nov 2003 23:54

I live in Plymouth, I will see what I can find in the library for you.

Sue

Sue Report 1 Dec 2003 00:27

Hi Chris My aunt was stationed in Plymouth for a while with the ATS on anti-aircraft duties. Sue

Bob

Bob Report 1 Dec 2003 01:05

Best I could find is this one in Brixham (not that far away) http://mysite.freeserve[.]com/batterygardens Bob

Katinahat

Katinahat Report 1 Dec 2003 01:09

Hi Chris, Try this site. http://www.virtualhistory(.)co(.)uk Good luck Kathy

Bob

Bob Report 1 Dec 2003 01:31

Just had a look at the virtual history site and the quality of some of those photo's is incredible....You do need a fast connection though or it would take a week.

Chris

Chris Report 4 Dec 2003 13:52

nudge

Paul

Paul Report 4 Dec 2003 19:15

Coastal and other AA sites were normally manned by the Royal Artillery and, as has been said, airfield defence became the forte of the RAF regiment in later years. Paul