Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1st World War Medal Ribbons

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 4 Dec 2003 22:35

My dad has just given me his dad's 1st WW medal ribbons. Great! Does anyone know of a site where I can find out what they were for? Thanks. John (formerly of Alnwick). :O)

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 4 Dec 2003 22:44

John, If you go onto www.1914-1918.org, and onto forum, I am sure someone will be able to help Kim

John

John Report 4 Dec 2003 23:03

Thanks Kim- I didn't know it existed. It looks really interesting.

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 4 Dec 2003 23:13

you are very welcome. This site has helped me no end. Kim

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 4 Dec 2003 23:25

I am sure you already know (though some have missed it) around the edge of the medals you will find his service number, rank and regiment

Gary

Gary Report 4 Dec 2003 23:34

i am too interested in medals, have you tried this go to a search engine put in medals or war medals etc and you will get loads of websites on the diffrent ribbons and medals there are 3 basic ww1 medals

John

John Report 5 Dec 2003 06:47

Leonard, I didn't know that. Alas I only have the ribbons and not the actual metal bit (I'm sure they've got a proper technical name).

Keith

Keith Report 5 Dec 2003 23:29

Hello John. 1st War medals generally known as Pip, Squeak and Wilfred after cartoon characters of the time. 1914 Star is for service between 5 Aug and midnight 22/23 Nov 1914. 1914-15 Star is for service between 5 Aug 14 and 31 Dec 1915. Both have the same ribbon - Red, white and blue shaded and watered. British War Medal 1914 - 1920 Broad orange watered centre with white black and blue stripes on edges for service in a theatre of war. 5.5 million issued Victory Medal 1914-1918 issued to all who had the War Medal or one of the stars (you couldn't have both stars). Red yellow green blue and violet from the centre outwards. Who did your fathers father serve with. Anything else I can add please ask. Regards. Keith

John

John Report 6 Dec 2003 06:17

Thanks Keith for all that info. I did discover a little of that by following Gary's suggestion and using Google. However, there is still one ribbon I don't know about. It has 3 white stripes on it (one central and two on the outside), with two broad burgundy bands on it. Any ideas? My grandad served in the South Staffs. It's the Army Meritorious Service Medal! I followed Kim's advice and posted a thread on that forum last night and have just read the comprehensive replies.

Irene

Irene Report 8 Dec 2003 22:54

You should be able to find out if there should be medals to go with the ribbons. Did you know that you can have copies made, just have to prove you are who you say you are. Irene