Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can someone advise please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 8 Dec 2003 23:23

I have the birth certificate of my natural father and I believe I have the records of his parents but I'm not really sure as I have had to do calculations and assumptions for that one. Can someone tell me how do I find if my natural father married and had any children, I'm not quite sure which way I should go and am aware a lot of expense could be made without even benefitting from any information. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Carol

Carol Report 8 Dec 2003 23:38

I presume you know if he was unmarried when you were born, so you would need to go forward from your birthdate for a marriage. Things to take into consideration are, Did he stay in the same area or move away? Consider his age at the time, though a marriage can occur at any age. Is the surname a common one or not so common. If you find a possible in the index, you will need the marriage certificate to match up the age when he married and the date on the birth certificate you have. (Sorry, obvious, that one) Once you have the marriage, you will have the wifes maiden name and can go forward from there and look for births of children. On later indices, the mothers maiden name is listed, so that makes it easier to get a match. Could be costly if doing it online, so may be better to use the indices at a library or LDS centre. Hope all that makes sense.

Vincent

Vincent Report 9 Dec 2003 03:44

Sandra: Do you know if your natural father has passed on? If so, and you know where he is buried, the office at the cemetery may be able to tell you who arranged for burial, ie a spouse, his children, etc......