Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ALDERLEY EDGE - Does anyone know where that is?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 9 Dec 2003 01:06

I just wondered if any of you knowledgeable people out there had any idea where Alderley Edge is? I can't find it in my English Place-names Dictionary.

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 9 Dec 2003 02:12

Linda Alderley Edge is in Cheshire, to the north west of Macclesfield, just south of Wilmslow and east of Knutsford. Hope this helps. You could try streetmaps(.)co(.)uk. it should show you exactly where it is. Kathleen

Steven

Steven Report 9 Dec 2003 16:12

Very select area is this! footballing hero etc:

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 9 Dec 2003 16:43

Just for your interest, I am sure that Alan Garner's book "The Wierdstone of Brisingamen" and its 2 sequels were set in the countryside around Alderley Edge. I loved those books as a child and recently revisited them with my 10-year-old. Wonderful! Liz

Annie in

Annie in Report 9 Dec 2003 17:34

Hi,Liz, I was just thinking the same thing!

Caz

Caz Report 9 Dec 2003 18:05

Isn't it supposed to be one of the many places where King Arthur and his knights are supposed to be 'sleeping'? Something to do with Merlin's face being carved in the rock above the cave? Ooops - not really genealogy.

Linda

Linda Report 9 Dec 2003 18:27

Thank you all for your help and comments regarding the whereabouts of Alderley Edge. Knowing where it is actually makes my reason for asking more curious! I have a 'Ministry of Food Child's Ration Book' that was issued at the Food Office of ALDERLEY EDGE on 15th October, 1918 - and I have no idea why it should be in my family or where it came from!?! The child's name is/was Ronald Crompton Peatfield. Parent/Guardian name Mabel B. Peatfield. Obviously more research called for here! Thanks again, Linda (East Sussex)

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 9 Dec 2003 22:35

Isn't Alderley Edge the rather nice area where Posh and Becks used to live?

Gillian

Gillian Report 11 Dec 2003 13:10

It is also the home of the Family History Society of Cheshire library and research centre !!!!! Festival Hall Talbot Road Alderley Edge Tel 01625 599722 Open Mon-Fri 10.00-4.00 I think you have to be a member to use it.only£9 per year Gill