Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Disappointed with marriage cert.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Aileen

Aileen Report 11 Dec 2003 12:15

My gt granddad's marriage certificate came today and I assumed the name of his father would be revealed. Not so! On the portion where it says name and surname of father, it said, written in ink, Mother's name Maria Bumb. Surely it would have given his father's name and (dec'd) had he been dead? My gt granddad was a German FS and I assumed his parents were- could that be the reason for omitting the father? Normally you just have a dash on it if the father is unknown, don't you? Any help will be gratefully received Aileen

Barbara

Barbara Report 11 Dec 2003 14:09

Not necessarily. I have a wonderful one from 1845 that says under fathers name and occupation Illigitimate son of Catherine Youds I suppose its better than calling him a bastard as the did so frequently in parish records!!

Aileen

Aileen Report 11 Dec 2003 14:29

Point taken Barbara! Yes that is a little too descriptive and leaves nothing to the imagination. Thanks for sharing your comments. Aileenx

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 11 Dec 2003 17:00

My grandads marriage cert from 1907 has no father. This is very strange since his father and mother married a few years after his birth and they all lived as one family. He was entered as "son" on the census as well. There was no legal reason for not entering it (as with births) but it just isn't there! Bob